Tether Internet from MBP to Desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ortegacarlton, Oct 16, 2012.

1. ortegacarlton macrumors newbie

Oct 16, 2011
    Hi forums,

I was wondering if there was anyway to tether my MBP to my desktop via Ethernet-to-Ethernet. I wanted to pull the wireless connection my MBP is getting and connect it to my desktop, since I dont have any cables that would reach far enough. (and/or would the connection I would be sending to my desktop be as efficient as say...my MBPs wireless signal)

If anyone has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it :).
  2. leman macrumors G3

Oct 14, 2008
    OS X has built-in connection sharing (although I am not sure it will work for your case). Look into System Prefereces->Sharing->Internet Sharing

P.S. On another note, just get a WiFi adaptor for you desktop. They are dirt cheap and it will be much more flexible this way.
  3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

May 28, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    Internet connection sharing is built in to OS X. There's a tick option in the sharing panel of System Preferences.

Might just be easier to buy a USB WiFi adapter for the PC though...
  4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    Internet connection sharing is like wi-fi to ethernet or ethernet to wi-fi. It doesn't do wi-fi to wi-fi.
  5. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

Sep 27, 2012
    I use a Ethernet cable from my Macbook to my Windows XP desktop by using a ethernet cable in the port on my Macbook to the Port on the desktop. Just make sure Internet sharing is turned on in "Sharing" in System Preferences