Tether iPad 1's 3G connection *to* a wifi only laptop/device.

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Azzin, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Azzin macrumors 68040

Hi all,

I'm curious to know if you can create a wireless Hotspot using an iPad's 3G connection, to connect a laptop/other wifi device to over wifi?

Cheers.

2. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Here in the States we don't have such an option. Do you have the option? You can always use something like MyWi to enable this feature, again here in the states our carrier AT&T frowns upon doing this, and has sent out letters to some users... At this point one can't be sure if it is do to excessive usage, or they now have a means of detection....

3. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Not that I'm aware of.

I have a data SIM from 3 (UK) in my iPad, that has a hefty allowance and I don't use anywhere near that allowance.

So I was wondering if I could use it to tether to my laptop to connect to wirelessly when I go to jobs, which would mean I could ditch my mobile BB dongle.

4. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Technically there are two question here, does the iPad support this feature, or can it be enabled, (yes) may require you to jailbreak your iPad to install MyWi, and 2) does your carrier permit or allow this feature. My understanding is that some carriers enable this option within the iOS features, others do not enable it. Depending on the version of iOS running on your iPad there were some websites that would enable it with a change of your provisioning setting. If you were on 4.x I believe... I know that MyWi worked for me last year...

So to answer your question yes it can be done, and I personally don't know what the reaction of your carrier would be, when I ran it on iOS 3.x my carrier didn't seem to be aware of me running it... I had an unlimited data plan and did not use vast amounts of data....