Tether IPad to BB 8830

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Bob Chadwick, May 3, 2010.

1. Bob Chadwick macrumors member

Is there a way to tether the IPad to a BB 8830? I found PDANet but it requires OS 4.6. The OS updates on the Verizon website only go to 4.5 for this phone.

2. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

You won't be able to tether your BB to the iPad. For a phone to be able to tether to the iPad it would have to go through wifi. PDA net supports a work-around tethering to the computer through the USB cord. And if memory serves correct that phone doesn't even have wifi. Since you are on Verizon maybe upgrade to a palm pre plus and get the mobile hotspot feature for free and that will solve your problem with tethering.

3. Bob Chadwick thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback. You are correct. I was hoping for another software package that would allow the BT or USB connection.. I'm stuck with the BB as it's a corporate issue.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I also have an 8830. I don't think the iPad supports network connection via bluetooth without (or even with?) jailbreaking. I'm considering the Curve 2 or Palm Pre as possible next phones to support wifi tethering to my iPad and iPod Touch.

You could get the camera connection kit which gives you an iPod-dock-connector to USB host adapter along with an SD card reader. But there are no drivers for connecting to any phone via cable (yet).

5. Bob Chadwick thread starter macrumors member

I have that. Lots of ways to connect but as you point out, there is no driver solution. I'll just have to be patient and hope someone brighter than me figures it out.

6. Imani97 macrumors newbie

Is this just an issue with your particular model? I have a 9700 and am wondering if I will be able to tether using pdanet.

7. Bob Chadwick thread starter macrumors member

It's at least the OS on my BB. PDAnet requires at least 4.6. Verizon only lists 4.5 for the 8830. I installed it anyway and got an error message.

If you have the minimum OS requirement, give it a try. A Google search for PDAnet and Blackberry takes you right to the page. Follow the instructions for BT, which don't require you to install the app on your computer.

8. Imani97 macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. I was able to pair my blackberry and iPad and I think that they were even connected at one point. No I can't get my iPad to connect with my bb. I'll keep playing with it.