Tether iPad to iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dshlapak, Mar 8, 2011.

1. dshlapak macrumors newbie

Hi. I'm buying an iPad 2 and a trying to decide whether to spring for 3G or not. Will I be able (under iOS 4.3) to tether the iPad to my iPhone 4 and get the same basic cellular functionality that I would with 3G on the iPad?

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

The only thing I think that you would be missing from the iPad would be the 3G chip, but you have your iPhone for navigation though. Otherwise, you're in good shape to tether as this is the option I'm taking as well.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

yes.

and as an added bonus, you will be able to use FaceTime on your iPad, iPod touch or a different iPhone 4 wile tethering.

4. TheAmoryWars macrumors newbie

So if I have an iPhone 4 with unlimited data, there's no point in buying an iPad with 3G? Just save the money and get the wi-fi only version? Thanks...

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

That's the thing though. Unless you jailbreak your phone & use MyWi, you're going to lose the unlimited data plan and be forced to use the 4GB plan to tether.

6. Merrily2006 macrumors newbie

Merrily2006

Tethering iPhone to iPad to use the iPhone data usage

All I did last night when my 3G sim card on the iPad ran out was to Bluetooth pair my iphone 4 and ipad2 together..I think I had I phone tethering turned on but that was probably irrelevant. Any way I had internet access on the iPad immediately and just as fast as the sim card access ..so don't think I'll be topping that 3G sim up in a hurry.

Did I do ok?

7. kilidar macrumors member

I had a 3G iPad 1 that I gave to girlfriend and bought ipad2 wifi, run mywi on ipad1. two issues, iPad 1 3g uses power twice as fast as iPad 2 wifi while tethered, got to be within wifi range of girlfriend and her iPad.

8. tmoerel macrumors 6502

That is assuming the OP is living in the US. In most European countries for example, tethering is allowed and works out of the box.

Ah yes...please do not forget there are still a few more countries outside the USA.....

9. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Glad to hear this works OK otherwise the iPhone 4 would be a total no-go for me.
    Currently tethering my iPad to my HTC works flawlessly and I do not want to lose this (essential) functionality if I move to the iPhone.

10. dartie macrumors newbie

iPad work well with tethered iPhone here in Australia. No jailbreaking required.