Tether iPad to Macbook?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Eric-PTEK, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Eric-PTEK macrumors 6502

I ended up not returning my wifi iPad because I had another project come up and a customer said he would buy it off of me when I'm done.

The wireless issue is beyond frustrating in the meantime waiting for my 3G. I'm sitting in a hotel waiting to go into a weekly meeting in an hour. I'm trying to get all my material on the iPad. My Macbook connects perfectly fine to the wireless, as does my iPhone.

My iPad sitting next to me at the table is struggling to load an app. I needed Numbers on it so I've been waiting 25 minutes for it to download from the App store.

I realize I could sync it but no cable with me. If I could tether the Macbook to the pad in situations like this it would help. The laptop is very fast on the wireless.

I bet the wireless signal strength is a battery issue, maybe if you jailbreak it you can crank up the wattage.

2. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Is your laptop using Ethernet to connect in your room? Then you can turn on share Internet connection and create a P2P connection via the wifi on the computer.

3. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

Yeah, if your laptop has an ethernet connection you could use internet sharing on your Macbook.

4. biosci macrumors 6502a

Ditto on what everyone else is saying. I connect my MBP via a Clear USB card, and share the internet connection to have a reliable connection for the keynote remote to run the presentation.

(it also does internet via wifi now but it seems like there's a bottle neck somewhere as speedtest app on the iphone is showing slow speeds when 'tethered')

5. Eric-PTEK thread starter macrumors 6502

No cable, connecting wifi.

I'm in a hotel conference center so I'm sitting in the cafe every Tuesday morning. Can you do the same connected wifi and share it via BT?