iPad Tether iPad to PC

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by xWinDows, May 4, 2010.

1. xWinDows macrumors newbie

Is it possible to tether an iPad Wifi to a PC via USB to provide internet access to my iPad? I asked because my internet access at work is only through PC, no wifi yet.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

No. Not even jailbreaking would allow this as far as I know. The iPad would need network drivers written for the dock connector instead of wifi or 3g. The OS is known but the CPU and everything else about the iPad are new so nobody outside of Apple knows how to write such drivers.

I have the same problem at my job. No wifi. I just do without. Sounds like you really could use a 3G model.

3. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Not through USB, but if your computer has wifi, you can create an ad-hoc wifi connection from the iPad to the computer and share your internet connection that way.

4. Chimpware macrumors regular

Yes it is possible to share the wired internet connection from your PC using your PCs wifi to create an adhoc network connection to the iPad. I have tested it and it works using XP. Should be the same for all versions of Windows.

5. ac4lt macrumors member

ac4lt

As others have said you can accomplish this via internet connection sharing over an ad hoc wifi network. However, many employers, especially larger ones, don't want "rogue" wifi connections into their networks. Alas, I work at a company whose IT policies specifically forbid this.

6. iPadThai macrumors 6502a

You can set up a private network for iPad and other wireless device where the iPad DOES NOT get access to the intranetworks.

But yes, you can setup your pc/laptop if you have a wireless adapter installed and create a custom network for internet sharing.

7. xWinDows thread starter macrumors newbie

Our desktops and most desktops are not wifi enabled.

8. diabolic macrumors 68000

Since there are no network drivers or adapters for the iPad, there is no way to share the network using a wired connection to the PC.

9. mrj412 macrumors regular

I was going to mention this as well. This would be a serious breach of policy at my employer. I doubt getting Internet access on your iPad is worth losing your job.

10. weenie macrumors member

Could you please give a summary outline on how to do that ? Thanks...

11. Chimpware macrumors regular