Tether iPad2 via BT for GPS?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by SSpiro, Dec 27, 2011.

1. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Is it possible to tether a jailbroken ipad2 to a cell phone (android in my case) via bluetooth for GPS?

I've read about BTstack and roqybt however as far as I can tell, this isn't possible.

Anyone know any different?

2. Apple-a5 macrumors member

Their is no current jailbreak for the a5 dual core processor, pod2g is working on it though so stay informed

3. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

4. Thekost macrumors newbie

im not sure about blue tooth but I tether my jailbroken iPad 2 to my jailbroke 3GS

5. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I used RoqyBT with an external Garmin 10x GPS in my truck and it worked great. If you can spend the extra money on an external GPS that's the way to go!

6. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

I think this is what im going to do. There is a TomTom on amazon for $25 shipped..

7. micROORganism macrumors newbie

I've wanted to get this working as well. I want to get "GPS 2 IP" on my iPhone, but it seems iffy and I'd rather not pay money for something that I have to play with to get working..

8. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

Would be great if I could use my android phone's gps on my ipad. :(

9. micROORganism macrumors newbie

I don't have experience with it on the iPad, but doesn't it just involve setting up a virtual COM port? And then, either select the COM port in the iPad app of your choice or somehow replace the location COM? I see "interceptty" and "minicom" in Cydia on the iPad. And, I don't know anything about android, but is it easy to get a NMEA stream from it?

10. SSpiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

11. vixducis macrumors regular

It should work with a combination of BTstack GPS on the iPad and an application which turns your android phone into a BT GPS transmitter (like blueNMEA or GPS 2 bluetooth).