Tether iPhone to mac

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpt-matthew, Sep 26, 2010.

1. mpt-matthew macrumors regular

I did search this topic, but because of the constantly changing software on both mac and iOS i thought i would just go ahead and ask.

I am not jailbroken (but was before iOS4).
    I am on Orange (UK).

I over the summer i didn't need to tether but now i do.
    Before the summer i had a PC and used PDAnet (for PC) which doesn't have a mac version, with my jailbroken iphone.

Whats the best way to tether.

ALSO, i once tried the "no jailbreak" tether (ages ago) but then my phone couldn't text. Do they work? If not whats the best jailbreak.

I have the iOS 4.1

THANKS

2. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Orange doesn't let you tether? Here in Canada you are allowed to tether for free so you just go to Settings->General->Network and turn on Internet Tethering.

3. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

You can tether with Orange if you pay them £5 a month.
    Here you get another 500mb for tether only.
    I have 500mb anyway for mobile use. I dont use hardly any of the 500mb and i want to use this extra as internet for my computer (while out and about)
    You can do this with either jailbreak, or a hack (tricks it into letting you use your phone as a modem).
    Therefore i dont have to pay extra. ;)

4. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

Same here in Asia. I got my Iphone 4 in Hong-Kong and steps are the same as above.

5. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

Yeh, these are the official steps. If i do that it says that i need to contact orange, i.e. pay them.

6. mpt-matthew thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, apparently PDAnet can be used on the Mac now :)

So if i jailbreak i can use that.

Anyone know non jailbreak alternative (other than pay for tethering)

7. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

This is a handy thread, I will be using tethering with Telus in Canada on my MBP when I'm away on work trips. In non wifi zones, mind you the phone can do pretty much everything I'd use my MBP for.. so maybe not?

8. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

I'm between DSL installations right now, so I've been tethering my iMac with my Fido iPhone. I have the 6-gig tethering plan. In a week, I've used 2.3 gigs.

It works fine. I enable tethering on the iPhone, connect it to the Mac via either Bluetooth or USB, then go to System Preferences > Network and select iPhone USB or Bluetooth PAN. Under Bluetooth, you have to set up the iPhone and 'pair' it with the Mac.

I have the impression that the Mac 'prefers' to start tethering the first time using Bluetooth, but once that connection is made a single time, it picks up the tether using USB.

If Bluetooth is enabled and the iPhone is already paired with the Mac, you can go to the Bluetooth icon on the Mac's menubar, pull its menu down, select the iPhone, then select 'connect to network'. When the Bluetooth connection is made, the Bluetooth icon on the iPhone pulses then turns from grey to white. The the 'tethering' blue indication lights up in the background of the menubar.

9. winstonterr macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am using my iPhone to connect to the internet on mac by tethering and I want to be able to share the internet with my friends who have PC's. Is it possible? And if so, how do I do it?

10. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I'm not sure if Orange does this as well, but I'm on O2 and they have a sort of "pay and go" tethering. Basically, instead of paying a monthly fee for tethering data I'm not going to use, I just get charged for whatever data I use. I don't remember exactly how much is costs per Mb, but I'm usually only tethering for around a half hour at a time and my cost for the session is usually less than a £. Ok, it's not free, but it's definitely a lot cheaper than the monthly charge if your tethering usage is minimal.