Tether Mac to Mac??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Z400Racer37, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Z400Racer37 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I've read many posts about how to tether a blackberry through bluetooth to your mac to get internet, but is there a way to tether a mac to a mac through bluetooth to share internet? I've tried to do this through sharing in system preferences, but I did not see an option for that (i.e. share from bluetooth dun to computers using airport). is there a way to do this? in short i just need to share my wifi connection with someone else using the bluetooth sharing. i am running 10.6.6

Thanks in advance everyone

2. simsaladimbamba

Looking at System Preferences > Sharing >> Internet Sharing it seems only possible to share a Bluetooth connection via AirPort, but not vice versa. But you can share an Ethernet connection via AirPort.
    Btw, does your other Mac, the one you want to share to, not have AirPort?

3. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

Windows actually does a better job, if you have bootcamp, but you can share an internet connection...

System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet Sharing

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Share through wifi.

Tether is typically used when you are sharing a mobile data connection.

5. Z400Racer37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah i was trying to get it to work thorugh internet sharing but i didnt see a listing thatfit what i need. the problem is that there is a mac filter at one of the networks that i deal with and my computer is accepted but my firends isnt. i dont wanna spoof their mac because work will get around pretty quickly (i work with a bunch of kids) and i dont want them to know i helped my friend out by breaking through a filter....

do you guys happen to know of any bluetooth internet sharing programs out there? similar to a tethering app?
    thanks