Tether Me

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Epic Xbox Revie, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

If I use this, is Verizon going to charge me $20 a month for tethering? I don't planning on using it regularly, maybe twice a week, and I don't want to pay $20 for it. Does anybody know if I can go ahead and get the app without worrying about being charged $20 a month?

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's the entire point of it. You will not be charged.

3. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

The program works just fine on my verizon iphone. It tabulates the data in the cellular network data field, not the tethering data as well.

4. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Thanks guys, I was looking at MyVerizon and it says 0 kb used for Mobile Data Connect, that means it shouldn't charge me correct? Just making sure, thanks again.

5. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Ultimately any charges are between you and verizon. Nothing we can do about it except attest to the fact that the program works.

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

is there any reason that this couldn't have been asked in the other tetherme thread already started. (just saying) but yeah that's the whole reason this app exist. :D

7. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Just don't be stupid in your usage. Verizon has a soft cap of about 5 GB/month. Don't expect to use your iphone as your sole internet connection.

8. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

I'm sure this is just like the ATT soft cap of 5 gig/month urban legend.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

10. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

And how accurate is that 4 year old article? My Verizon page says unlimited all over it (given, I haven't actually read my contract in-depth).

Ha, why not? People did and do it all the time on AT&T. One guy on MR was sucking down a Blu-ray or three a day! Maybe Verizon will be just a little more intelligent about it (throttling their top people).

11. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

It's possible that Verizon's soft cap has gone away. I have no interest in ever using a service that doesn't work in the majority of countries around the globe, so I don't keep up with Verizon or Sprint.
    Recently, I did read that Verizon might enact throttling for their top 2% users (over 2GB). Since I read it in the forums, it's hard to tell how much of it is MR overreaction and how much is the real deal.

12. MikePA, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011

MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Posting a 4 year old article about a 5 gig soft cap or mentioning an 'article you read' about throttling don't feed the hype and misinformation. Nah, of course they don't.

13. scelzifan macrumors 6502

I went ahead and purchased this app today and it took awhile to get it working correctly but once you do it works great. I am using it on my Verizon IPhone right now and for 2 bucks, it beats paying 20 or better yet, 20 a month from Verizon.

14. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

This took 0 effort to get working for me. You purchase the program on Cydia, you launch Settings, press TetherMe, switch the slider on for Personal Hotspot and in my case press the USB button. Done. You are now tethering via USB.

15. firewater macrumors regular

Pdanet app from cydia works great for connecting your Ipad,Macbook, ect...:D

16. scelzifan macrumors 6502

I set mine up for a wifi tether so it wasn't quit as easy but like I said, for 2 bucks you can't beat it.

17. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

I read that too but I thought I remeber it being on engadget >.>