Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

tether.jpg

iTether is an iPhone app that allows users to share their iPhone's internet connection with their Mac or PC computer over USB. However, the application was available for only a few hours on the App Store before Apple removed it over "carrier concerns".

There are two parts of the iTether app -- an iOS app and a computer-side application. Though the iOS app isn't available for sale anymore, Tether continues to offer updates to the computer-side apps. The company has released an update to the Mac client to fix a crashing problem under OS X Lion that a number of users have experienced.

The update can be downloaded from Tether's website.

Article Link: Tether Releases Mac Update to Fix Lion Crashing Bug

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
I actually never had any problems with it crashing but am glad to know it's still working and they're still keeping it alive and working out the kinks. Anyone that had issues, has this stopped them?

sporkish

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
yeah ive had it crash a few times on my home computer, but because i have internet here and dont use the tether app here i didnt really care because all other places ive tried it have worked great.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
I downloaded this app when it was available in the app store, but honestly, I don't think I will ever use it. I can really just do everything from my phone.

robT9

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
Does anyone have issues using Tether with Apple Mail?

I couldn't use Mail prior to the update to send mail. Does this update fix this now?

Its a shame, because the product works great otherwise.

notatwork

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for the continuing support!

I never experienced the crash, but it is good to know improvements are continuing--even with Apple pulling the iOS app. Hoping that someday soon the gouging for tethering on already bandwidth limited plans will end (or that Apple will reconsider this wonderful app)!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.