Tether unjailbroken iPhone 4 to iPad using Handy Light :)

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by CrAkD, Jul 28, 2010.

1. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I can't take credit for this as I somewhat followed a guide from modmyi.com however the guide got changed a bunch of times and it wasnt exactly clear so im rewriting it a bit to make it more clear.

Apps youll need:
    on iphone 4: Handylight, Download Pro Lite
    on iPad: Mywi (trial will work fine you only run it for a second)

1. You need use a textfile and create a file called "socks.pac" in the text file just the following 3 lines of code

function FindProxyForURL(url, host) {
    return "SOCKS 13.37.13.37:1337";
    }

2. now on the iPhone 4 run "Download Pro Lite" goto more>Share> and turn "webshare" on.

3. on your computer goto the address listed for the webshare in Download Pro Light. Use the form to upload the "socks.pac" file you created.

4. on the ipad start mywi tethering. then on the phone go into general settings and select your ipad network. then hit the little blue arrow next to the ipad wifi network to go into more advanced settings. Select "static" for ip address put. 13.37.13.37 subnet mask put 255.255.255.0 back out of the menu then go back in to make sure it saved those settings.

5. on the ipad shut down the mywi network. You shouldnt really have to use it again. now go into general settings and select your ipad network (its still there because the iphone is now sustaining it.) then select the blue arrow next to it to go into advanced settings. once again select "static" for ip address put. 13.37.13.36 subnet mask is that same at 255.255.255.0 then down the bottom set http proxy to "auto" and set the URL to http://13.37.13.37:8080/socks.pac once again back out of this menu then reenter to make sure these settings stuck.

6. for the final step on the iphone launch handylight. Select "blue" "yellow" "red" then touch the top right corner of the screen. the screen should turn purple to show that your now tethering. Go back to the ipad and see if you can now surf to web pages on safari. I had to respring the ipad at the end to get it going.

couple of notes. Not everything will work on the ipad doing this. couple notable things that dont work are POP email and youtube. Also I couldnt get it to work when I created the "socks.pac" file with textedit on my mac. I created it with notepad on my windows machine and used my mac to upload it to the phone and then it worked.

Hopefully this guide is easy to follow. I picked up my 32gb iphone 4 today and was sad that I wouldnt be able to tether my ipad at work anymore until the jailbreak is released then I stumbled across the thread at modmyi.com those guys are genius' and came up with this I just retyped it as I had to try a ton of different things afterwards to get it to work so I figured i'd try and make it easier for ya.

2. redmachine macrumors member

The handy light app was pulled from the app store ages ago

3. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I'm well aware some people bought it day of like myself

4. buedrow macrumors newbie

CrAkD, thanks for a great, simplified walkthrough.

5. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

thanks man. i used this all day today and i dunno if its the iphone 4 or the proxy but my ipad was surfing pages WAY faster then it did on thru my 3GS with mywi plus the iphone 4 battery drained ALOT slower then the 3gs on mywi.

6. reddevils9119 macrumors newbie

I was able to get it to work with textedit on my mac, just make sure that you tell textedit not to append a .txt extension to files that don't have extensions. The first time I did it, it added a hidden .txt extension and wouldn't work for me. Anyway, thanks for posting this here. I'm doing this with my 3GS and it works great.

7. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Yeah text edit did that to me but after uploading it to download pro I got rid of the txt extension but it still didn't work. Must of added something to the file when adding the txt extension.

Glad you got it working! I'm typing this on my iPad at work thru my iPhone 4!

8. finnwegian macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad. Both are unjailbroken, is it possible to use the handy light app to tether my iPad or not? I don't see how I can download these things if they are not.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

10. enero@serpico50 macrumors newbie

Question: Is there an advantage with handylight over MyWi? I ask because I was curious about Handylight and wanted to give it a try with the iPad. But when I saw your tutorial I wondered what the point was if you already have MyWi...

11. CrAkD thread starter macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I made this thread before the iphone 4 jailbreak was released. So I had to tether the ipad this way. But now that the jailbreak is out ive tried this, mywi and tetherme. I still think handylight is the fastest for websurfing. its in the middle on battery life. tetherme is the best on battery life but something to do with the commcenter hack makes the phone restart. mywi is pretty decent on speed but its expensive and sucks the battery plus it makes the phone get hot and that worries me. so the jury is still out on which one is the best.

12. MacObsessed macrumors newbie

This can also be done without jailbreaking the iPad, by using a mac to initially generate the adhoc network, after which the pc can be removed and the network will persist between the iPad and the iPhone.