Tether Wi-fi signal. not 3G.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by -BigMac-, Jan 1, 2012.

1. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

Hi guys.

My question is.. can you use your home wi-fi and tether that signal through your iPhones USB for something like a 'non wi-fi capable' xbox 360, instead of tethering your 3G signal, which would eat up your data.
    Thanks

2. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

using wifi would not use any data........idk what u want about an xbox but can't that pickup a wireless?

when you use wifi you're not sharing your 3g...that would be using your phone as a mobile hotspot or as a wired modem.

again you might want to rephrase because this has melted my mind...but just in case turning wifi on your phone on will use your homes signal and not 3g. and u should be able to do that with ur xbox too. if u want to tether from your phone for free download pdanet

3. NeshyD macrumors regular

NeshyD

You're talking about using your iPhone as a WiFi USB adapter yes? In that case, no there isn't any way to do that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Your best bet is to get the official adapter from Microsoft or use Internet Sharing on your PC/Mac.

4. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Xbox doesn't connect wirelessly ?

5. NeshyD macrumors regular

NeshyD

Nah the older models (non slim models) didn't have wifi built in. They required a USB adapter from Microsoft to wirelessly connect (which was costly I might add).

6. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

You know what I've been wondering about the same thing OP

7. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Correct.

8. kingdLo macrumors 6502

Wrong.

On my 4 using the App Store approved/unapproved 'Tether' app, I can share my WIFI connection with my hackint0sh when I absolutely need to. I just turn airplane mode on and then reenable Wifi. Just plug in the USB, start the app on both PC and iPhone and it works perfectly fine.

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

So because he can't get that app...... There is no way to currently do this

10. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

$40 with free shipping is costly ?

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

They used to be 100

12. Kyles3399 macrumors newbie

Airport express

Hi I had the same problem. Instead of the Microsoft wifi usb thingy which use to to run $100 I bought a refurbished airport express from apple ($70) and used the bridge mode. good solution and also lets me run music to a stereo. The Microsoft thingy will be useless and worthless, as soon as the next one comes out.

13. BiggAW macrumors 68020

You can do the same thing with any router you can put DD-WRT on.