tethered iphone4 wont let me restore. HELP

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Chadillac314, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Chadillac314 macrumors newbie

i used redsn0w to jailbreak my iphone4. current firmware i have on it is 4.3.4 and i wanted to update 5 too have all the cool new additions. i wanted to restore my phone first to get rid of the jailbreak, but after itunes is done backing it up (which takes a while) it comes up and says "The iphone could not be restored. This device isnt eligible for the requested build." i made sure i had the most recent itunes and i restarted my computer but neither worked. ive read people saying that there are settings i would have to change cuz the jailbreak doesnt allow you to restore, or id have to play around with the hosts, something like that that i didnt uderstand fully. if anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated. thank youuuuu

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

The easy way is to download TinyUmbrella, connect phone to usb, start TU.
    Go to advanced tab, UNcheck set host to cydia on exit, close TU

If you dont need to perserve baseband restore via itunes.

If you DO need to preserve your baseband, create your custom ipsw, put your phone on DFU and Shift-restore (win) or ALT-restore (mac) in itunes

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

He's also likely gonna need to change the host file in the /etc/ folder to point to the cydia servers, instead of Apple's servers.

4. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

That's what TU does, its the easy way of changing the host file, without searching for it, or self editting.