Tethered jailbreak question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by el-John-o, Dec 6, 2010.

1. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Hey all,

Okay so I am considering a tethered jailbreak on my iPhone 4, mainly so that I can tether internet to my laptop, a feature I greatly miss.

My problem is, though, nothing is untethered for 4.2, and I wan't 4.2 (Certain features like find my iPhone I want to keep, it's nice to make your phone 'ring' when it's on silent.)

So here it my question. What happens if my phone dies and it's tethered? Using redsn0w doesn't it just boot up like normal, and my jailbreak apps won't work? If that's the case, I may as well go for it. However I have also heard that it needs to be attached to a PC before it can be rebooted. That makes it a no-go.

By the way, because I'm sure someone will mention "You're jailbreaking for tethering, so you will be near a computer". Not all the time, but how silly would it be to jailbreak my phone, tether, then restore it to official firmware, etc. every time. I will "leave" it jailbroken, which means I might be away from a computer, my iPhone might die, and I might be screwed. With the pathetic battery life on the iPhone 4, that could happen. I've had it for 4 days now, and all 4 of those days required charging at some point during the day.

Thanks,

John

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It means you will have to run redsnow each time you need to restart your iphone. If your battery dies you wont be able to get into the homescreen when you turn it on again untill you run redsnow again.

3. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, guess I'll be waiting for the untethered version then! haha. I'm sure this has been asked before, but what's the general consensus of how long that will take?

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

There is no real way of knowing a time period/date when a revised jailbreak will be out.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Noone knows when and they dont give out ETA dates etc...
    Im also waiting and staying on 4.1 at the moment. Tethered JB's are a pain.

6. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

Is there a JB app alternative to find my iPhone? I really love that feature, but it's my only reason for sticking with 4.2.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There are a few cydia apps like find my iphone but not as good or polished.
    Thats the only reason I want to move up to 4.2.1 too but not a good enough one to get locked into a tethered JB.
    I'd rather wait.

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I have Cylay on my iPhone. Works pretty well. Haven't had to use it yet (knock on wood).