tethered jailbroke 5.0, how do I jailbreak untethered now?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by efet, Dec 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efet macrumors newbie

Will I need to first update my phone to 5.01, lose my tethered jailbreak to then untethered jailbreak it again?

2. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

Here are the basic steps for how to get it:

The untether is for iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone3GS, iPhone4, iPhone4-CDMA, iPad1, iPod touch 3G, iPod touch 4G
    If you have one of those devices and are not on 5.0.1 yet, update now! The SHSH window is still open for 5.0.1 If you unlock via ultrasn0w or gevey, make sure you only get to 5.0.1 via a custom IPSW! See the guides at places like iClarified.com if you don’t know how. Once you’re at 5.0.1, use the latest redsn0w 0.9.10 to both jailbreak and untether.
    If you’re already at 5.0.1 with a tethered jailbreak, you have two choices: either run redsn0w 0.9.10 over your current jailbreak (deselect “Install Cydia” if you do that), or install the Cydia package prepared by the chronic devteam. The patches are the same regardless of which you choose.
    Some of you are using a hybrid 5.0/5.0.1 configuration. If so, do not attempt to install this untether over that setup! You will most likely get into a reboot cycle. Do a sync and fresh restore to 5.0.1 then install the jailbreak + untether.

3. efet thread starter macrumors newbie

One more question; I used to unlock my phone with Gevey and I lost it when I mistakenly updated it to ios 5.0. Will I be able to unlock my phone with Gevey or with something else once I update to 5.01 and jailbreak it again?

4. baller1308, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

baller1308 macrumors 6502a

When you update try to preserve your baseband.

5. Che Castro macrumors 603

im on 5.0 tethered so i will loose all my jailbreak apps and settings ?

because in order to get the untethered i need to be on 5.0.1 ?
    that sucks

6. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

You can make a backup then update to 5.0.1. After you update you then do the jailbreak. Finally, you restore from your backup. This should retain most of your jailbroken apps and settings.

7. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

if you are already jailbroken, you can re-run redsn0w to get the untether or you can search for "corona" on cydia. There is no need to update in iTunes and re-jailbreak.

baller1308- a backup of your phone does NOT store jailbreak data, tweaks, themes, settings, etc. You have to have specific "cydia backup" apps for that or you will have to manually download all of your cydia stuff again.

8. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's correct. But for apps found on iTunes it should store the data and settings.

As for the untether jailbreak, from what I've read you have to be on 5.0.1.

9. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

No..... Your baseband can't be downgrade it. So, for now you just have to face the fact and move on. Hopefully, if Gevey team can come up with new sim interposer that can unlock 04.11 baseband soon, then you can use it to unlock your phone. Otherwise, just hold on to that ipod touch for now or sell it and get a factory unlocked phone.

10. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

ahh yes, but you said
    I was just making sure you and the person you were responding to know that a backup doesn't store ANY jailbreak data.

Well, the untether works on 5.0 or 5.0.1 You don't *HAVE* to update to 5.0.1 to jailbreak. You CAN stay on 5.0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.