Tethered JB Question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by nbuubu, Oct 13, 2011.

1. nbuubu macrumors regular

I've always waited and used untethered jailbreaks, so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.

I'm wondering what exactly is left behind and still "active" after a tethered phone is restarted.

Like, if someone were to do a tethered JB, install iFile and make some tweaks to specific files (like to delete the Newsstand app/folder, or to change the "Swipe to Unlock" title to something else) ... and then restart ... those changes should stick around, correct?

iFile itself would cease to function, but the minor file settings tweaks should remain ... I'm thinking.

If you use the tethered JB just to change a few file settings and not actually get access to the Springboard or anything that would need hooks into the OS that would rely on a jailbreak during boot ... would that work?

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I'm a bit confused by your question. If you JB your phone, it's JB until you restore it, regardless of it being tethered or untethered. Any file changes you make are still present. JB functionality of apps will not work if you don't boot tethered, but changing file names/deleting apps, is editing the phone, not a JB program, so those changes WILL stay intact.

3. nbuubu thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, that's what I thought. Just wanted to get some confirmation.