Tethered Question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by heisenberg123, Oct 15, 2011.

1. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

When they say you have to boot tethered i understand what that mens but what i don't know is, in the event your phone reboots or powers off and you can't boot teathered does anything on the phone still work before you can boot tethered again?

i.e. can you still make phone calls, sms, check emails

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You can't do anything until you boot. All you will see is an apple logo.

3. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Thanks for the info

4. Theraker007 macrumors regular

This is why im really uncomfortable with tethered boots on the iphone.. youre screwed in an emergency.

On the ipad who cares, it isnt your phone, it can wait.

5. rrandyy macrumors 6502

Thanks. I had this same question.

If I remember correctly, there was a tethered jailbreak a while back that allowed the phone to boot without a computer, but would result in a non-jailbroken device. I could live with that.

However, not being able to make even a phone call after a reboot seems like quite the hassle.

6. Sc00tr macrumors regular

you can still respring. You just can not do a hard reset. a resping will resolve most problems. I hardly ever do a hard reset.

7. heisenberg123 thread starter macrumors 603

heisenberg123

That's a big difference I was under the impression a respring needed to be teathered also thanks for sharing

8. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

That's incorrect. If you have a tethered jailbreak, you can still use it after a reset. The phone becomes unusable after a tethered jailbreak when you have an app that starts at startup... such as sbsetting, my3g, and things like that.

If you have nothing like above installed, your cydia app will just look blank (white box) after a reset.

9. JayHD macrumors member

That sucks. Literally, the only reasons I still want to jailbreak, sbsettings and my3g, are pretty much the only things making a tethered JB risky.

I really wish they would just add settings toggles to Siri. "WiFi off". "Bluetooth on". Is there a compelling reason to exclude these?