Tethering a 40d and using a macbook remote to trigger

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by swanseastu, Jun 9, 2010.

1. swanseastu macrumors member

swanseastu

HI Im thinking of tethering my Canon 40d with my macbook pro in a "amateur studio" enviornment.

Is there any software that will let me assign a button press on the apple remote control that I have with the macbook to trigger the shutter?

2. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Not that I am aware of. Have you used the "EOS Utility" that comes with the camera? Thats what i use to tether to my Blackbook.

3. jampat macrumors 6502a

What about going the other way? Remote to trigger camera and images pop up on screen? I know this is easy with Lightroom, I'm not sure how well it works with other software.

Ebay has a ton of wireless triggers, Pocketwizard can trigger a camera (with the right cable), or you can buy a wired cable that works every time and costs very little.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Most camera manufacturers have software to tether their cameras. I am a Nikon guy so can't say for sure about Canon.

Camera software usually can trigger camera.

Software functions can be mapped to keyboard short cut.

Apple remote can probably be mapped to keyboard short cut.

5. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Yes, Canon does the same. The software comes with the camera.

6. tricouleur macrumors newbie

tricouleur

I don't know how you would do that with the Apple remote but onOne Software has an app allowing you to use your iphone as the trigger. The 40D has to be tethered to the macbook with the macbook running OnOne's server software. I have the 'lite' 1.99 version that allows the iphone to act as the shutter release. The 19.99 version is a lot more sophisticated allowing you to change aperture, shutter speed, etc. directly from the iphone. The nice feature of using your iphone is that you get to see the photo a few seconds after shutter release on the iphone.
    Here is the link for the lite version:
    http://tinyurl.com/26pu6q5

7. Wacky Jackson macrumors member

Wacky Jackson

8. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn