Tethering and Carrier Files?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mikel30, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Mikel30 macrumors member

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but I've searched and can't find it.

I just set up tethering on AT&T because I'm staying at a hotel that charges a ridiculous amount for internet. I downloaded the mobileconfig file from http://help.benm.at/help.php. It's working fine, but I don't know what to do when I'm done with tethering. I don't want any trace of it left on my iPhone because it's messed up my visual voicemail.

So first off, does this install a new carrier file? I most of the other tethering hacks involve installing a modified carrier file, so does this one?

If it does, how can I revert back to AT&T 4.0 (I think that is the most recent one)? I've heard if I just "Reset Network Settings" it will do this. If I restore from a backup, will it also do this?

2. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

No, I believe you go to Settings-General-Profiles and uninstall the one called AT&T. Also, about the VVM not working did you enter the password again? I think you might need to. You probably did, but just in case...

Anyway, good luck!

3. Mikel30 thread starter macrumors member

I uninstalled it and my visual voicemail started working again, but the tethering option is still listed under Network. If it's still there, it means the tethering settings weren't completely deleted. anything else I can do besides restore?

4. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

No, I doubt it. Once the profile is installed I think you have to restore to remove tethering. Why would you anyway because VVM works now, right?