Tethering and Iphone...Not the Standard Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by john0394, Oct 1, 2008.

1. john0394 macrumors newbie

I recently got my hands on a very cheap 3g Iphone. I currently have Verizon Wireless service so I have little interest in yet another calling plan through ATT. I am considering flipping it on Craigslist or Ebay for a little profit. However, I'm also thinking about keeping it to use as an (expensive) ipod and web surfer through wifi. I can currently connect my laptop to my Verizon phone (env2) for internet access. Does anyone know if this could be done with the iphone, too? In other words, I don't want to tether through the iphone using its internet access....I'd like to use it as the "computer" described in most tethering discussions. I'm able to pair my env2 with the iphone via bluetooth. I just can't figure out how to initiate an internet connection/tether between the two. I know this might be a better question in a Verizon forum....just thought I'd check here in my quest for an answer.

2. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

edit: nevermind, i misunderstood.

thought you wanted to send an internet connection FROM your computer to iPhone...

3. xyion1 macrumors regular

The iPhone doesn't have bluetooth implemented in such a way that you can connect to anything except a headset with it. What you are trying to do won't work.

4. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

1: you could buy an inexpensive wireless router -- problem solved.

2: if you have a mac with an airport card, you can enable internet sharing and create an ad-hoc network that broadcasts your computer's ethernet data over wifi. be wary, however... some ISPs don't really like that, but i've done it on comcast with no problems.

edit: i misunderstood too. haha....