Tethering Enabled

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Exegesis48, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

I've had iOS 4 GM since it was "leaked" but have not been able to convince AT&T to enable tethering. Thinking "launch" day is upon us, I took a gamble and called to see if anything has changed, and sure enough, AT&T turned tethering on for me. Seeing as I work on a military installation and wi-fi is strictly forbidden, this makes all the difference in the world to me.

So nice to have a legitimate tethering option without having to jailbreak my phone. Hope someone else is able to benefit from this information as well.

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Sweet! Thanks for sharing! Can I ask what plan you have?

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

if only tethering worked from iPhone to iPad I would so be getting that right now, but Apple needs to make their extra $130 for the iPad + 3G model.

4. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Hahahaha. Could always jailbreak that iPhone of yours. ;)

5. markthrash macrumors 6502

markthrash

That's some cool news to hear. I've been kind of wondering when all this tethering stuff would be going down. So would we have to ask an AT&T rep to enable it for us or is it an automatic function we enable ourselves?

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I installed MiWi on my old iPhone 3G, but I felt the battery drained too fast that I decided I would wait for an official option from AT&T, but with the $20 additional fee and no iPad tethering, I might just have to jailbreak again.

7. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Hehehe. Buy an extra battery and you should be set for hours!

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Too bad it's not free. I could go crazy at work with that and actually get stuff done that requires stuff made since I was born. OK it's not really that bad, but we're on Firefox 2.0 because we're on Panther. Do you realize what all stuff you can't do on browsers and OSes that old? ACK!

9. Exegesis48 thread starter macrumors regular

I have the $45 2gb plan + tethering now. I wasn't able to enable it through attwireless.com though, I had to call and talk to a rep, (i'm a premier customer so i get 24/7 telephone support). I explained that I wanted to enable tethering and I had iOS 4 (I didn't say how i managed to get iOS 4 since it's not out until another few hours). After putting me on hold for a bit the rep came back and said I was good to go and that I needed to restart my phone to enable tethering. After a quick restart and connecting my phone to my laptop, I'm good to go.

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I thought Tethering created a Wi-Fi network or whatnot to connect to. Why can't a Wi-Fi only iPad connect to a tethered iPhone, especially if you are paying extra for the tethering option. Has Apple blocked this somehow on the iPad? I would think you just select the network name and log in?

11. AbjectEvolution macrumors 6502

Someone who has tethering... could you explain how it drains the battery? How do you use it... with a laptop? How does it connect? Check your data usage if you can to see how much it drains it by simple web browsing.

12. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Very few people if many, need tethering. Good to hear you got yours :)

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

according to AT&T, the iPhone not being able to tether to the iPad is an Apple limitation in the OS and not an AT&T restriction.

but no, enabling tethering doesn't create a WiFi hotspot like you think. Once you have tethering enabled, you can connect to another device (Laptop) either by Bluetooth or USB only.

14. bahooki macrumors regular

Works fine on an EVO. Doesn't work on an un-jailbroken iphone because tethering on an iphone doesn't use wifi. It uses a direct connection to the device.

15. Macdicted macrumors regular

iPhone tethering only thru bluetooth or usb.

The iPad doesnt support bluetooth or usb tethering if I remember correctly ?

MyWi , and a spare power supply for outdoors ....or power cord whenever indoors or in your car. No big deal. Then you dont have to pay AT&T twice or Apple an extra $130 for 3G

16. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

I hope AT&T told you that by turning on tethering you lost your unlimited data. You are now at 2GB per month and you can never go back to unlimited (well, maybe within a certain number of days).

Mark

17. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Tethering (pda net / mywi) over a ad-hoc or wifi network (ap) drains the battery the fastest because both the 3g and wifi are going at the same time. This option I highly doubt Apple / AT&T will ever offer.

Tethering over bluetooth is second in the draining category and USB is the best as it charges the phone at the same time.

With heavy downloading only tethering over USB will keep charging the phone.

Just monitor data usage through your AT&T account.

18. bahooki macrumors regular

Yep, it you want to tether, the best bet is to Jailbreak. That way you dont have to pay ATT's rape fee, and you can use wifi, and you could have kept your unlimited data plan.

19. Lifesuxsbad macrumors regular

Lifesuxsbad

Tethering

I tethered my Ipad with my jailbroken iPhone and it worked perfectly.

20. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

no. if you had an unlimited data plan before June 7th, you got to keep it the way it is and if you wanted to enable tethering, it would be just $20 more a month.

any new customer after June 7th now has a cap of 2GB, but existing customers still have unlimited (unless they chose to down grade to save themselves an extra $5 a month)

21. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

As it might be a nice feature once in a while, truth be told I'm happy with a 64GB WiFi only iPad. I can get by with using my iPhone for any real web needs when I don't have WiFi access. I use the iPad mainly at home, flights, or at friends and relatives who have WiFi.

22. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Sorry, but you are INCORRECT! Yes, there have been a fair number of AT&T reps that have said what you suggest. But subsequent inquiries by folks that were told that have found the earlier reps to be wrong.

It doesn't matter if you've had unlimited data since 2007 on an iPhone plan... If you add the $20 AT&T tethering, you MUST switch down to the $25 2GB plan. AT&T will NOT allow you to have the $30 unlimited data AND the $20 tethering at the same time.

Mark

23. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Mark Booth, you were right.

Data Plus - 200 MB of data for $15/month. Additional 200MB for another $15.
    DataPro - 2GB of data for $25/month. Additional 1 GB of data for $10.
    Tethering - Additional $20/month for DataPro customers.

iPhone users are specifically mentioned as being supported by the Tethering option, and support will be deployed with the release of iPhone OS 4.0.

The press release seems to indicate that Tethering will only be allowed with the DataPro plan. This would mean that existing iPhone customers would have to replace their current $30/month unlimited plan with the $25/month 2GB plan in order to qualify for the $20/month tethering plan. In other words, existing iPhone users who wish to take advantage of tethering would find their data rates increasing from $30/month to $45/month ($25 + $20) and find themselves limited to 2GB of data. AT&T indicates that if you don't want tethering, you may keep the current $30/month unlimited rate.

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/02/atandt-announces-iphone-tethering-and-new-smartphone-data-plans/

24. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

^^ Mark Booth - nice signature. Not quite Pearl Harbor. But I feel ya.