Phones Tethering for internet in a rural area

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Princeofsands, May 26, 2014.

1. Princeofsands macrumors newbie

I'm looking for help pertaining to how I can tether a phone to multiple laptops.

The background of what is going on is the following. I am moving to an area that I can only get satellite internet at. After finding out the amount of data I use I realized that I would need an unlimited data plan. I have only found 1 service in the area that provides unlimited data for home internet, but the speed of that service is poor.

I was told at a local sprint kiosk that I should buy a rooted sprint phone that has the ability to tether. After doing so I was told that I would be able to purchase an unlimited data phone plan at the sprint kiosk and then use the phone to connect my laptop to the internet with unlimited data use.

I am used to a pre-paid tracfone - smartphones drive me crazy and are mostly foreign to me. Can anyone confirm that I would be able to do what I was told at the sprint kiosk? If I am able to do this, then what kind of rooted sprint phone should I buy? Where would I go to buy a rooted phone?

Thank you.

2. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

1. don't get a rooted phone. Get a device that will act as a dedicated hotspot or data modem.

2. Most data plans (for phones or otherwise) that are unlimited block tethering.

3. Princeofsands thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the response.

I am able to connect my computer to the internet through my phone at this point.

The only issue right now is that pdanet, the app I'm using to help me usb connect my computer to my phone, does not detect my phones internet.

I do have a work around that has helped my still connect the devices, but do you think that I need this work around because of what you wrote, the blocking of usb tethering?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think a mifi would be a a better solution, instead of getting a rooted phone.

5. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Yep. Carriers can block traffic by peeking at your web browser's user-agent string that it passes to web sites.

Even with workarounds, you would only be able to get mobile sites on your computer desktop browser.

Then there is also the fact that your phone is not designed to route internet data full time.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That would be my suggestion as well.

7. Princeofsands thread starter macrumors newbie

What would be a good mifi to invest in so that I don't have to maintain this jerry-rigged internet connection?

8. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

What phone do you have? If it runs a recent version of Android: Settings > More... > Tethering & portable hotspot > Portable Wi-Fi hotspot. Easy.

I'm running CM so your menus might be slightly different but the functionality is built into Android. I use this all the time on my S4 and it works fine connecting multiple devices to the hotspot.

9. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

How much data are we talking about? Carriers do have fair use policies and somehow, I think what you're planning to do will go against those and can get your line disconnected. Another thing, are you sure Sprint's network is faster than satellite internet in the area you're moving to?

10. aneftp macrumors 601

Best solution is to buy verizon unlimited data plan on craigslist or eBay.

Verizon has true unlimited lte. Best of all they don't care if u move the sim over to mifi device or iPad which has built in support for hotspot.

I use my verizon unlimited line with my iPad. iPad had hotspot. Bam. Unlimited data with hotspot.

It will cost u anywhere between $200-500 to buy verizon unlimited data on black marker. Assume responsibility for that line. Than pay for verizon service.

11. Princeofsands thread starter macrumors newbie

The phone tethering that I was using isn't actually going to work any longer. The coverage is unavailable at my new residence.

I have tried quite a few options now, but am trying to look into the Mifi hardware.

12. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I've got a att unlimited iPad data plan fs. 30 a month. Unlimited non throttled att 4g lte and 4g hspa. It can be used with the att liberate mifi

13. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

That plan is worth it's weight in gold.

Can be used as home ISP for sure.

14. Truefan31, Jun 1, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2014

Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Tethering for internet in a rural area

Yup. It's a great plan. Well worth it for data users.

Got 1 left fs. 1000 paypal with almost 2 months free. Pm me if interested