Tethering from Android device

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 30secondstosam, Feb 8, 2013.

1. 30secondstosam macrumors newbie

I've just bought a Macbook Pro (2011) and we have an iPhone in the house. We use tethering from my Android because I get unlimited tethering data and really fast data speeds. Unfortunately, it only works on an open connection. So it's not secure. That's obviously not ideal - does anyone know of a solution for this? WPA2 connects for about 3 minutes then stops working. If i run diagnostics it then works but only for 3 mins (ish) again. Thanks

2. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

What program are you using to tether? If you android device is rooted, use wifitether app from play store. It has an option for encryption

3. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

this

if not rooted use foxfi. it's a paid app but well worth the 7 bucks

4. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

5. 30secondstosam, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013

30secondstosam thread starter macrumors newbie

hi thanks for the replies.

i've got a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 rooted and CM10.1 installed as the ROM.
    I tried a few apps to help. Fox Fi breaks every time unfortunately. I'll try wifitether.

wifitether didnt show up in my list of SSID's. and Fox Fi doesnt work on 4.1+ android. damn!

6. 30secondstosam thread starter macrumors newbie

Please someone help!! I have an open connection that is working really quickly but that's not secure and I can't keep it like this... Thank you guys!!

7. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Android 4.1 has tethering built into the OS anyway, no need for 3rd party apps.

8. 30secondstosam thread starter macrumors newbie

correct.
    I used it but it only works on Open ...
    when I use WPA2 or WEP, the Mac doesnt like it. Interestingly, it has the same effect on my girlfriend's iPhone 5...
    any ideas!?!!?

9. Outkast27 macrumors 6502

Then you need to make some changes in the settings. What is your service provider ?
    Try the settings shown in this video, wifi tether should then show up .

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I tether, all my Mac`s frequently to my HTC OneX and my Samsung Note 10.1, with no issue, all running with WPA2. Both Android devices have standard ROM`s no Root.

Only problem I incurred was VPN`s and that has now been fixed on last update of Android. I have just literally updated MS Office on my 15" Retina, by tethering the HTC over 300Mb came down very fast & seamlessly without any issue. Previously I had a Samsung Tab 7.7, same story no issue with tethering. With all of my Android devices I have never had to change any setting, just set up the "Hotspot" and go.

Your service provider may have the answer, have you tried to USB tether?

11. 30secondstosam thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm with Three(3). Never had a problem with tethering. Just doesn't seem to work now...

I'm not using stock ROM, I'm using CM10.1. Encryption worked on Windows7 and Linux. however when using my Macbook Pro or when my Mrs tries to connect her iPhone 5 to my device, it doesn't work. It connects, but there is no internet connection.

I've tried all the apps and they don't work.

I've been using the normal "Portable WiFi Hotspot" tether option in Linux and Windows before and it worked. I just can't understand why it wouldn't in Mac? It's strange because it does work for a bit and then just stops...

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Sorry i doubt i can help much more, you might want to look at your ROM, all i can say is that with a stock Vanilla ROM Android does play well with OS X. You might want to try and download the latest OS X combo update and apply it. i am on 10.8.2 across several Mac`s and when connected to the mobile device the reliability and speed are very good.