Tethering from new ipad - can it stay always on ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sythas, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Sythas macrumors 6502a

Sythas

Hello everyone,

My friend will get a ipad LTE next week to work with TELUS in canada (my question is not for that carrier, just how tethering works).

She cannot get internet form cable or DSL because she live too far away, but she have LTE connection in her area... ?!?

Anyway, right now she have a USB 3G for her computer and she's paying like 50$ per month for 1g data. She want a ipad and since it's 35$ per month for 5g and it's LTE not 3G, she want to tether from the ipad instead of the USB key and save a lot of money...

Sooo my question is : If the ipad is connected from a power source and the hotspot is active (do not care if it's from the USB cable, bluetooth or wifi), will the ipad stay on and share the connection all day without anyone touching it ?

Thank you for taking the time to read my wall of text ;)

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

It won't stay connected over wifi but will over Bluetooth.

3. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

Yes, it should work. However, why would you keep it on all the time? iPad was not really designed to be used as a constant WiFi hotspot. Tell her to just turn the ipad hotspot on when she needs to use the internet.

4. Sythas thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sythas

It's very simple, her husband doesn't want to use the ipad at all, he want something too simple, I agree, but anyway..

She want to connect the ipad in the morning, use it for herself in the evening and share the connection in the day (he's retired and she will be too in 2 years)..

Will it just stay always connected with bluetooth or trough USB too ? Since as I can see with my search Wifi seems to shut down fast...

5. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

i keep my iPhone plug in most of the day with wifi hotspot on, connected to two MacBooks and iPad ,shut then down,sleep, reboot etc...iPhone hotspot never disconnects .never try bluetooth tho .
    just keep the iPad plug in and turn hotspot on with wifi and surf away .

6. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I use my iPad as a hotspot and can keep it connected to my iPhone all day as long as my iPhone is connected to power.

7. Backpackgirl macrumors newbie

It is not recommended to remain connected to the hotspot all the time. You will deplete your data rather quickly.

8. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

you can always check your data usage daily with iPhone/ipad under settings or the easy way check account with rogers/telus/bell app or website.
    5gb should be fine without downloading or watching lots of videos.

plus don't know about telus but rogers will send u a message when you reach 80% of your data, i wouldn't worry and used your data ,we pay lots of money to this companies may as well enjoy and used as much as we can without going over.

9. Sythas thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sythas