tethering idea.. possible solution...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bronksy, Jul 21, 2008.

1. bronksy macrumors 6502

bronksy

Hello people..
    I think i'm about to jump from Windows Mobile to the iphone... Here's a thought about this tethering thing.

I had an application for my windows PPC phone that basically made the phone into a wireless access point.. so the laptop saw the phone as a Wireless Access point and could connect to it. The application then used the data connection on the Windows Mobile device, sent it over Wireless to the Laptop..

Could this be done on the iphone? If someone could write an app that would hook into the wireless card in the iphone, could this not theoretically be possible?

2. halesvb11 macrumors newbie

sounds legit, but i doubt it'd ever get thrown on the app store. as far as the jailbroken versions, i dont know b/c i haven't done that yet.

3. alejovh1 macrumors regular

4. halesvb11 macrumors newbie

sounds legit, but i doubt it'd ever get thrown on the app store. as far as the jailbroken versions, i dont know b/c i haven't done that yet.

5. freejack macrumors regular

freejack

6. markgamber macrumors 6502

Indeed, there are some fairly lengthy instructions on how to turn your iPhone into an access point BUT there are two caveats: First, it has to be jailbroken and second, it acts as a SOCKS proxy, not like a NAT redirector which is how the WM internet sharing worked. I'm not sure how the wifi sharing app worked as I had a Touch and not a Mogul.