Tethering in-depth for iPhone 3Gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pattman247, Jun 17, 2009.

1. pattman247 macrumors regular

So basically with 3.0 we now get two different ways of tethering the iphone to our computers, either USB or bluetooth. By plugging your iphone into your computer you get the benefit of charging your phone PLUS having faster internet speeds, but how much faster?

With HSDPA, the maximum speed is 7.2mbps, and with 3g it's 3.5mbps. To my knowledge bluetooth has a max speed of 3mbps, which means using it wirelessly it's only marginally slower than regular 3g. But also the iphone renders pages slower than 3mbps due to it having a slow processor, so theoretically bluetooth tethering should be faster than the speeds we get on our phone.

This is all through the way I see it, anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

P.S. If you guys can answer one more question, how much more battery life do you lose when using wifi as opposed to bluetooth, because in that case I would just use PDAnet and have USB speeds minus the US

2. cpnotebook80 macrumors 6502a

+1
    good question too.But technically if you are using, usb for tethering, wouldnt the iphone be charging at the same time? i havent tried it yet.