Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iNooby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Long-time reader, first time poster. :D

I get unlimited tethering on my Blackberry from work and have used it to tether an internet connection for my laptop for years.

Rumor has it you can tether or otherwise get an internet connection for the New iPad from a Blackberry, if the iPad is jailbroken.

I have never jailbroken a device before and have no idea how.

But I thought I might investigate the idea, since I do not have any kind of data plan on my iPhone and would love to have mobile internet on my new iPad, which I love by the way.

So if anyone can shed light on this matter, I would appreciate it.

And to answer before it is asked, I do not have data on my iPhone 4, because I bought it used from a friend, and I put in an AT&T Pay As Go Phone card. $50 can easily last two months or more, and I usually have no need for data plans. So I have a glofied iPod with a phone in it, basically.

But I will certainly get a lot more out of the iPad. :cool:

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
you don't need to jailbreak the iPad. as long as you can setup the bluetooth tether from the blackberry, i think you'd be fine. are you currently tethering via usb cable to your computer?

i've been looking to do this for quite some time, but my company locks down our BB pretty good, so it's a no go for me. i ended up just getting the LTE iPad.

iNooby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
Yes, I have always used a usb cable to tether my blackberry to the laptop.

And it also requires the blackberry desktop manager to connect the laptop to the internet. That is where one actually tells it to connect. The device just sits there acting like some sort of antenna.

The bluetooth thing I never tried, as it drains the bberry pretty quickly.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.