Tethering iPad Data Connection BT

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by ajhard, Nov 1, 2013.

1. ajhard macrumors member

Hi - odd question here.

I have an iPad Mini 4g with Tethering plan, I would like to use it's connection on my iPhone (the other way round to usual). All works fine if I use Wi-Fi Hotspot, but I would prefer Bluetooth. I can't see any way to get them to connect...how should I be doing it!!

Cheers

2. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

Turn on bluetooth on both devices, at settings/ bluetooth try to pair them. It should work.

3. ajhard thread starter macrumors member

So...When I have both devices with bluetooth switched on and displaying the Bluetooth devices menu, neither finds the other...If I then switch on Personal Hotspot on the iPad it makes no difference. However if I switch hotspot on the iPhone I then see the iPhone listed on the iPad to pair, this allows me to use the iPhone 3g on the iPad - which is the opposite to what I am after...

Can it be that there is no way to Bluetooth tether the iPad connection to the iPhone...?!

4. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

Seems that it isnt possible :/

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Correct, you can only tether via wifi.

6. ajhard thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for confirming - that seems ridiculous...I can tether with BT the other way round! Madness

7. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

hmmm http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4517

"iPhone 3GS can share a connection with USB or Bluetooth. iPhone 4 or later, iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular or later, and iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular can share a connection using Wi-Fi, USB, or Bluetooth."
    So maybe there is a bug because it sounds a bit stupid, from iPhone you can share via bluetooth, from iPad- not

8. ajhard thread starter macrumors member

I fear not, as I now understand it the iPad can happily share a connection over Bluetooth, but only to a non iOS device, for some reason - the iPhone can't receive a BT connection from an iPad...crazy but apparently true!