Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shamip

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm wondering what happens if we connect both Ipad and Iphone using their USB cables to USB hub?? i.e like having a cable connecting both together. Then enable tethering on the iphone similar to what you do when you connect iphone to a pc?

Did anybody try it yet??

I did not try it.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Nothing would happen. Just like what happens when you plug an iPhone into the iPad using an iPod cable and the camera connection kit.

iPad does not support USB or bluetooth tethering.

Lord Egregious

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2008
What is the differences between wifi tethering and bluetooth tethering? Is one more battery friendly on the phone or ipad?

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
What is the differences between wifi tethering and bluetooth tethering? Is one more battery friendly on the phone or ipad?

From memory, yes the BT option is friendlier on the phone's battery but I also read that the speeds are slower than WiFi. Don't know if this is true!

will2all

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
Seoul
Confused.

Okay, I have 2 Iphone 3GS.
No. 1 is a Korean KTF Show Version Tethering is allowed and I use it all the time to tether via BT to my Macbook.
No. 2 is an Unlocked Iphone from HK. They do not allow for phones to be tied to a carrier. I use found the tethering feature turns on and off depending on the country I am in. China (Shanghai) tethering is not allowed. Singapore it turns on.

My question is I am thinking of getting an Ipad for my work and I have been able to do it on the Iphone but the screen is too small and thus the Ipad would be perfect. However, the interface is a web interface and thus needs constant internet connectivity. I have been using the Macbook but have been thinking the Ipad would be better. Purchasing the Ipad 3G would not work for me because Korea is one of 2 countries globally that maintains a "White List" of phones and not a black list. Meaning I have to go through beauracracy and pay a lot of money about $300 and 2~3 weeks for it to get approved. On top of that the Mini-Sim is not available here yet. Just wondering if tethering via BT is an option if tethering without Jailbreak or any other softwares is already allowed.

Please advise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.