Tethering Ipad to Andriod phone

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Fixmy59bug, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Fixmy59bug macrumors newbie

:eek:

The Ipad 2 is my first experience with anything apple (not counting the Apple IIe in elementary school).

I have been reading some threads about tethering the Ipad, but of course they are Ipad to Iphone which requires jailbreaking. Presumably of the Iphone to allow tethering, is that right?

I have an EVO 4g which is rooted and has wireless tether enabled. I have already successfully tethered my laptop through Wi-Fi, so I know my phone is capable.

I should have no problem getting my Ipad online, right?

2. kalex macrumors 65816

It should be same as your laptop. Should work without any issues

3. Bigchris macrumors member

You'll be fine, I use the hot spot on my Evo without a problem, works great..

4. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

I dont have same setup but I have a Nexus one with tmobile tether with ipad 1. No hotspot plan, juat pure android data. Works great. Good luck.

5. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

You can see my phone in my sig, it's pretty much the brother to the phone you have. Seeing as you connected your laptop to it, you should be just fine. A laptop I use occasionally will recognize it as a Modem Device, but the iPad just sees it as a wireless network.

There may be some settings you can look at if for some reason the iPad does not work. While we have technically the same phones, yours has Android and mine has Windows Mobile. So your mileage may vary depending on the settings.

The only reason I stuck with this instead of getting a 3G iPad is because I have internet on my phone already and I don't want to pay more each month, I'm stuck with the internet in my plan for another year. The only regret I have about this is the fact it kills the battery on my phone in just a few hours, thankfully where I would need to use it for that long is always near a wall outlet.

6. the-insider macrumors newbie

Posting this using a DroidX tether. No problem

7. Alicia4065 macrumors regular

8. steveruv macrumors newbie

just tried mobileap, wifi tethering from my vibrant to iPad and it works!

9. Jerastan macrumors newbie

I too, was using my rooted EVO to do just this. Worked fine unless the cell signal was weak. Then it worked, but was really slow.

10. sam2428 macrumors 6502

Is your vibrant rooted?

I have the PDAnet app on my vibrant and tried to bluetooth tether this weekend at the apple store but it wouldnt recognize my phone. I only tried for like 2 mins though.

11. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

I wanted to do this with my htc incredible but the battery dies way too quickly.

12. caf9128 macrumors member

Haven't received my iPad yet (Walmart.com says it shipped today, yeah!).

But I've used my Nexus One as a wireless hotspot for our laptops. It's fantastic! I have an unlimited data plan on TMobile, and there is no extra charge for hot spot tethering. I think it may be the best mobile hot spot going for the money. I've connected two of our laptops simultaneously before, and the data speed is amazingly good.

I didn't even consider getting a 3G version of the iPad--I have no need for another data plan bill, since I always have my cell with me anyway.

13. steveruv macrumors newbie

yep, im rooted. recognized it quickly and it was pretty fast too.

14. NickDaQuick macrumors newbie

Youll be fine, actually have already done it quite a few times with my rooted htc droid incredible