Tethering iPhone 4 = AWESOME!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SexyBeast, Jun 25, 2010.

1. SexyBeast macrumors regular

I have been using my iPhone 4 to tether most of the night (just basic web surfing, so I don't have to worry about going over the 2GB). I got to say that the 3G connection is fast. Almost like using my wifi at home.

2. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

whats your data usage say after surfing this evening? i wanted to get tethering but stayed with unlimited for now.

3. SexyBeast thread starter macrumors regular

I tried to check, but I don't think it posts it until later. They have a tool that will let you know and from what I can tell I would need to view over 3000 webpages and stream 12 hours of music or video in a month to reach 2GB. I've read a lot about people complaining about the 2GB cap, but from what I can tell it will take a lot to even reach that cap.

4. UnknownMacNoob macrumors member

I thought it would be hard to reach 2gigs as well but I got my phone efore the 7th just incase. My friend has hit 9gigs in 3 weeks. He has espn mobile and has been watching the world cup religiously.

5. EstrlM3 macrumors 6502

yep i believe so also, i figured id watch it for a month and see but dont think i go over 2gb.

i did hear netflix app was coming for ip4 though so that would be lame if i switched then they released it.

6. vdm10 macrumors newbie

If I have the grandfathered unlimited plan, do I still have to add the tethering feature to my current plan?

[​IMG]

7. LoganT macrumors 68020

8. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

9. Zimmy68 macrumors 68000

Zimmy68

Nope.
    Tethering is only available on their non unlimited plan.
    And if you want tethering, say goodbye to unlimited, you would lose your grandfathering.

10. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

I am on the unlimited plan, and I have a tethering option and turned it on my iPhone4.....But I didn't use it to see if it worked....You'd think that it wouldn't let you even enable it......

11. LoganT macrumors 68020

It's really a cool idea.

12. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

It tells you to contact AT&T. You can even pair up the phone over Bluetooth and have it show up as a "Bluetooth Pan" device, but it doesn't work.

13. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Yeah, it's easy to hit 2GB. I hit about 5GB yesterday alone gaming, downloading video podcasts to itunes, and such.

14. futbalguy macrumors 6502

While tethering? Why?

15. ainjo1919 macrumors regular

I tried it, chose the USB setting, connected it to my computer, and then it said I needed to call or go online to set up tethering with at&t. So nope it doesn't work. :(

16. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Of course not. This is on my regular connection. I don't care about tethering personally. I want to keep my unlimited plan.

17. SexyBeast thread starter macrumors regular

I have no idea how people hit 2GB easily. The data usage for last night (my first night using tethering) showed up and I've used a whopping 128mb out of 2,044mb. I literally surfed all over the internet for 8 hours straight and watched a bunch of web videos. Using this connection shouldn't replace your existing internet connection at home. I'm not going to download movies while tethering that's stupid. I work nights and we are not allowed to use the work internet, but bringing my own set up from home is ok, so the tethering plan is awesome for what I need it for. Keeping me entertained for 8 hours. I will not miss giving up my unlimited plan because I wouldn't even come close to 2GB anyway.

18. war eagle macrumors 6502a

I've used 7 gigs and I have about 6 days left in my billing cycle. My internet hookup wont be for another few weeks so i've been tethering through my phone. Considering not even getting home internet.

Hopefully when I get iPhone 4 I can keep my unlimited grandfathered media max unlimited for 10 bucks a month.

19. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

While tethering can be very benefial at times, it is complete and utter bullchit that any of us should have to pay MORE to use data THAT WE'VE ALREADY PAID FOR! And then how convenient that I can't even tether iPad with it.

This alone is going to cause jailbreaking to occur at an unprecedented rate.

20. bniu macrumors 6502a

i think with 4G, we'll be seeing unlimited plans again. Sprint's mifi and Clear's mobile hotspot specifically feature unlimited data over 4G but impose a 5GB cap for 3G.

Hopefully with 4G, we can truly replace home internet. 3G tethering is okay for use in a pinch or when traveling but not something I'd care to use long term. If you're going to be downloading huge files, you're likely going to be in a place for some time, might as well head over to a wifi hotspot and save your 3G data for quick access.

21. robd54 macrumors member

Just picked up one of these guys from Best Buy, shelf was stocked with em. I think its perfect for my iPad, iPhone (FaceTime) and laptops when traveling and love the pay to go. The prices are reasonable and no activation fees each time you fire it up. Only thing I wish was they gave you longer (unlimited) time for your data to expire. I'd buy 5 GB at a time and just let it run out before buying more.

22. darkhunter139 macrumors regular

23. Lamarak macrumors 6502

Ya, but hate that have to use the 5 gigs for 60$ in a month so no rollover, so needs to be used in 30 days. Be much better if just had to buy when you used the 5 gigs. Lucky for me clearwire in my area and runs my wife and I $65 a month for both of us to have unlimited 4g, but did have to sign a contract.

24. gapdev macrumors newbie

For those of you considering MiFi's, thinking that you can activate/de-activate at will and be on a month to month contract, you might want to check with the carrier (Virgin, Verizon, Sprint) and verify the charges before you spend $200+ on a contract free MiFi.

I bought a contract free Mifi for use a few times a year while on vacation. When I went to activate it the first time, I was charged a $35 activation fee. Then, when I went to terminate the month to month, I was told that I can suspend for 3 months for a $15 charge. If you don't suspend, you will end up paying the $35 activation fee every time you want to use it for a month.

They (Verizon at least) make it very difficult (and expensive) to use the MiFi on a true, month to month basis.

Kenny

25. robd54 macrumors member

I know Verizon is that way, doesn't seem like the Virgin Mobile one is, which is what drew me to it. I activated it today with no charge; didn't give my CC info, just used the one up prepaid cards. Will probably do it that way so there's no charges to my CC.