Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac44

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
I have a 3G modem card on my MacBook but do not have 3G on my iPhone 3GS running 4.2.1. Can I tether the iPhone to use the MacBook's 3G connection? I am in China and there is no 3G on China Mobile but I can use a 3G USB device from China Unicom.

Steve in Beijing

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I have a 3G modem card on my MacBook but do not have 3G on my iPhone 3GS running 4.2.1. Can I tether the iPhone to use the MacBook's 3G connection? I am in China and there is no 3G on China Mobile but I can use a 3G USB device from China Unicom.

Steve in Beijing

Yes very simple. It is a standard MAC feature, go to System preferences, and select Sharing then internet sharing.

Works really well.

mac44

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
Sharing

Went Sharing in System prefs and it gives a message "you've not selected a port for internet sharing. The options are Ethernet, Airport, MBBEthernet and Firewire. I want to share via Bluetooth. What is the solution?

mac44

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
Kindle

Trying to connect my Kindle to the MacBook wifi. Kindle sees it but can't connect. Under connection type, it lists DHCP or Static. If I click Static, it asks for IP Address, Subnet Mask, etc. Any ideas?

mac44

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2007
Dhcp

Chose DHCP, Kindle saw my network but failed to connect. Asked if I wanted to set up manually, but the only pref available to change is Security Type: none WEP WPA WPA2. I chose none but still cannot connect. Any thoughts?

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
Chose DHCP, Kindle saw my network but failed to connect. Asked if I wanted to set up manually, but the only pref available to change is Security Type: none WEP WPA WPA2. I chose none but still cannot connect. Any thoughts?

This isnt a hack so you should be able to contact the apple helpdesk or check out the online FAQ pages to get the spicific answers you need.

Hope it helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.