Tethering iPhone w/ iProxy

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jordanjclay, Jun 9, 2011.

1. jordanjclay macrumors newbie

I was talking to AT&T yesterday and wanted to upgrade to a tethering plan on my iPhone but they said I would lose my Unlimited Data Plan. The other option was to Jailbreak which I am not full comfortable with.

The third option is to get a Dev account and upload the source code from iProxy that can be found on the internet onto my iPhone. Do you think this will work? What level of difficulty would you rank this at. I am somewhat computer knowledgeable but definitely not a golden boy.

I was obviously going to do this to my "Daily Driver" iPhone and only use it on Limited use. Not stream netflix all day and burn through data and make it obvious to be caught by AT&T. Do you think it would be stable enough to run. I would be completely fine with running iOS4 instead of the rumored shaky iOS5.

2. bjgpp macrumors member

IMO if you are not comfortable with jailbreaking, then you should be messing around with a dev account.

Jailbreaking is extremely easy to do and even easier to remove. If you do decide to jailbreak, download TetherMe (cheap, lets you use the tethering options that are built into iOS in the settings menu)

3. wpotere Guest

and when they catch you you will lose the unlimited account anyway. ;)

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If you're not comfortable with jailbreaking, why are you messing with a dev account and source code? Doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

5. jordanjclay thread starter macrumors newbie

Iproxy

It's not that I'm uncomfortable with the technical aspect of jailbreaking it is that i have jailbroken and wasn't thrilled with the results of constant crashing. Also there are rumors that an untethered jailbreak may disappear and I don't think That would be convenient at all.

FYI. I jailbroke my iOS 3 phone, never a 4.0 device.

6. geiman macrumors newbie

Constant crashing? Sounds like you aren't comfortable with the process. I've been jailbreaking since it required 75 steps, and I've never had that problem. Do some homework and maybe you won't be so afraid of jailbreaking.

7. vultureboy macrumors member

vultureboy

I'm currently using the iOS5 Beta, it crashes occasionally.
    I'm using the standard version of Chrome, it crashes occasionally.
    I used to use windows, it crashed all the time.

Does that mean that i'm not comfortable with the process of upgrading to beta firmware? Or installing a piece of software? Or using an operating system?

No, it just means that there are bugs in things that cause them to crash, maybe the OP used different software when jailbroken to you, or Maybe, just maybe jailbreaking can cause bugs. I jailbroke my iPhone 2G back in the very early days of jailbreaking and it had regular crashes. I can assure you that had nothing to do with my knowledge of jailbreaking and the processes behind using a computer.

Anyway. Back on topic...

I downloaded iProxy a while back and it was as simple as opening it in Xcode and pressing compile, it shouldn't be too technical to be honest. You can of course install Xcode and compile the program without needing to have a developer account to make sure that you (personally) can get it up and running in the simulator. Then you just have to make the choice of spending the money for a dev account to install it on your phone.

Hope that helps! :)