Tethering iPhone with T-Mobile $30 5GB plan.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

Can you tether an iPhone on T-Mobile if you use a prepaid plan like the $30 unlimited? My parents barely use the computer and are paying $40 a month for Internet. They are on a regular prepaid plan with a dumb phone so I was thinking of giving them my 4S, cancelling their Internet, and signing up for a prepaid data plan.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Give T-Mo a call and see of that's an option.

The only risk is that if you blow by the quota, it will either cap you, i.e., shut you down, or charge you overage fees.

3. rluvbeach macrumors member

yes you can, my daughter has been doing it with her iphone 5s

4. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

If you jailbreak, yes you can tether. If you don't jailbreak, adding official tethering is an additional $15 per month. If you go over 5GB, T-Mobile throttles you to a point where even opening Google's homepage takes forever. I remember getting ~0.05 Mbps throttled. That's practically 56K/GPRS speed.

5. runningtowin macrumors member

I've been tethering. Some people say there's some limit of 100 mb, but I've gone well, well over that and had no charges extra. 30 dollars a month. Nothing more.

6. Beelzbub macrumors regular

Keep in mind that 4S on Tmobile will only get Edge speeds unless the area you are in has been re farmed.

7. turbineseaplane macrumors 68020

turbineseaplane

Yeah - TMo might as well just say 5gb limit on the data.

The throttling is so extreme that once over 5gb it literally doesn't work. When I was on this plan and went over 5gb a couple times, I couldn't even get Google.com to load.

8. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Yes you can. But, on that $30 prepaid plan, T-Mobile will charge an additional $15 for tethering (prorated to where you are in the billing cycle when you activate the service).

I don't need tethering, except when traveling. So, it does come in handy to have that option available.

For mobile, I never use up the full data allotment. But, at home, I can't imagine 5 GB going very far. And once you use up that 5GB, then T-Mobile will throttle you down to near dial-up speeds.

Their Simple Choice plans include tethering up to your data cap (on the $80 unlimited plan, you're still limited to 5 GB of tethering).

9. runningtowin macrumors member

No, no, no they don't. They do not charge $15. This is what they say, but I am on this plan and pay $30 every month. No more, no less. I'd show you a screenshot but, as I put in that other thread... I'm out a phone.

10. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

They did require it on my iPhone 5c (iOS 7.1). Personal Hotspot shows up but I couldn't enable it unless I sign up for the tethering add-on.

11. Woochifer, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Yes they do, and yes they have.

I'm on the T-Mobile $30 prepaid plan, and have activated tethering on the plan three different times. Each time, the charge was prorated from the $15 monthly rate and then deactivated at the end of the billing cycle. Unless they changed this recently, tethering is only included with T-Mobile's Simple Choice plans, not their prepaid plans.

UPDATE:
    Okay, I just checked. The Mobile Hotspot is actually active on my phone! Must be a recent change, because I last activated tethering on my phone two months ago. And at the end of the billing cycle, it was deactivated. Unlike with past tethering deactivations, the option on my settings never went away.

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

That's certainly nice if that's the case. Last time I used it was a couple of months ago, too. Hopefully this isn't just a glitch.

13. runningtowin macrumors member

Right; it works. I can't explain why, but I and a couple family members have been using it successfully for weeks.

14. jjfad macrumors member

What app do you need to download in order to tether?

15. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

I am getting 4G, so I guess it works? Pretty sure I do not have LTE.

16. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

My understanding, and t-mobile may have changed this, is that the first 100MB tethering are free, but if you want more than that, it is $15/mo.

Has this changed?

17. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Not in my experience. I couldn't enable personal hotspot at all unless I signed up for the tethering feature.

Seems like it has which is a good thing for subscribers.

18. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

If this is true T-mobile is my hero! Best mobile plan in the US by leaps and bounds.

When I was in Northern Europe last month I bought a prepaid sim that was unlimited everything for 30 days for EIGHT EUROS. I really didn't believe it at first but I HAMMERED that SIM card for data as hard as I could and it never ran out. I thought I maybe was being scammed by the kiosk clerk who sold it to me but it was real. 3G only though, but OOKLA I think showed 5Mb download speeds. Hopefully we get deals like that over here soon.

19. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

The T-Mobile app still has a usage statistic "Mobile Hotspot Usage 0/100MB" but it doesn't budge. I guess hotspot is free - for now. I wonder if this has anything to do with the issue where their system was incorrectly recording some iOS apps' data usage as being hotspot use and then cutting off data after 100MB? I reported the issue here, called T-Mobile multiple times reporting the bug, and then finally wrote the CEO a handwritten letter describing the problem. Maybe this is a quick fix but only temporary?