Tethering, it doesn't work at all? Why? When?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fourthtunz, Feb 19, 2010.

1. fourthtunz macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

Anyone got any answers as to why tethering does not work with our Iphones?
    I have an S with 3.1.3 so does that mean that tethering does not work for sure?
    I'd like to try it anyway to see if it will work, so how do you do it?

How hard is it to downgrade to a version that does have tethering?

At$T should is impressing me less AND LESS all the time.
    No 3g in about half my state and no tethering, why are we paying so much?

2. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Well tethering isn't OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED, so you can't really blame AT&T for it not working on you iPhone 3GS. When it does get officially supported, and it fails to work, then blame AT&T. Blame them for the broken promise of it coming in 2009. Blame them for MMS not working.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not possible at the moment with 3.1.3 3GS
    You can't jb It either.

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

Oh you could get tethering if you Jailbroke. Also tethering was never supported on stock firmware except for a bug in a software release, I forget which one, but I don't think your device would have even came with it. Also, you cannot Jailbreak on 3.1.3, and you can't downgrade to 3.1.2 to Jailbreak. This is what happens when you don't search if its okay to update.

5. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Here is an example of why pcs are junk is flat out lying. Apple never released a software version with tethering enabled as a bug. It has been baked into iPhone OS 3.0 and higher, but you would need the correct carrier settings to enable it. The correct ipcc. Or you would need to download a profile and restart the iPhone to get tethering. But Apple never released a version of iPhone OS with tethering already enabled in the US. At least with everything sock Apple firmware and AT&T Carrier ipcc.

6. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

No, I'm pretty sure they did. They said it was a bug in the software, and they fixed it with the next software update.

7. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Nah, I pretty sure it never happened. Maybe in one of the beta releases, but not to the mass public. And Apple never said that. I'm obsessed with Apple and read sites other than MR, and never herd about it. Apple hates to admit they screw up when the do. They do admit huge problems though. Like Mobile Me, iPhone 3G, 2.0, App Store. And the failing hard drives in 3 year old computers, when most of them have been upgrade to a newer model.
    :eek::mad::rolleyes::cool::p;):D:eek::(:):confused:

8. fourthtunz thread starter macrumors 6502a

fourthtunz

I was never interested in jailbreaking. I always look at the forums before I update. I thought I remembered hearing about tethering being included by mistake in 3.0.1?
    I updated because sometimes I get calls and my phone won't ring.
    Also sometimes my voicemail doesn't come through til the next day!
    I wasn't that interested in tethering before, it would come in handy though right now.
    I thought it was AT$T that stopped it from being included for fear of increased data usage?
    If I could use my phone on verizon I'd switch in a heartbeat!

9. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

Yes, I think it was 3.0.1. It may not be true, but its what I've read. And Apple supposedly claims that it was allowed by mistake, which is why it was a bug.

10. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

My brother has updated to every update on 3.0. We nevr found a tethering option on 3.0, 3.0.1, 3.1, 3.1.2, or 3.1.3. The help.benM thing did work at one point for him though.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That is false.
    The only time they did was with a beta release of firmware to devs only.
    Never on an official public release without a few hoops to jump.

12. Koronis macrumors member

Koronis

The tethering option should only be on the phone if it is supported by the carrier. My Telus iPhone could tether right out of the box.

13. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

Like I said guys, it was only what I've read. I can't remember if they said beta release or public release, but I just remember them saying there was a bug.

14. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

It was not a 'bug'.

Tethering has always been an available option in the 3.x series firmware.

It must be enabled by the carrier, which, in the US, is only AT&T, who does not enable it.

Early on, it was possible to install an 'unofficial' carrier mobileconfig via help.benm.at, which installed a perfectly valid mobileconfig file with AT&T's settings, using a perfectly official installation method Apple allowed.

A firmware update made a change that apparently verifies AT&T mobileconfigs and prevents you from properly applying the benm mobileconfig.

15. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

16. Crunch macrumors 6502

Crunch

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THESE QUESTIONS! :( I NEED it this week!

I will need to tether this coming week. I have a 3GS, OS 3.1.2 (did not upgrade), it's jailbroken, and MyWii worked great when I used the trial.

I never tried PDANet? Which one's better? I don't need the whole WiFi hotspot that MyWii gives you.

Even under Settings, there was a Tethering option where I could select USB and Bluetooth, but it disappeared on me. Does anyone know WHY it disappeared?

Do I need software at all to tether??? I know how to configure a DUN connection, and I have all the settings. I never turned on Tethering in Settings --> General ---> Tethering, because I couldn't see what APN was used. If it's isp.cingular, that's a dead giveaway. How do I make sure it's set to wap.cingular?

Thank you very much for any advice! Please help me with these questions. :(

17. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

You've answered your own question. MyWii worked great when you tested it. So buy it then. It's extremely cheap compared to most other software.