Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kaitlyn2004

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
My phone heats up from tethering... Wifi+3G are both on full use..

It never got HOT... just WARM....

jbrandonf

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

I've surfed the web for hours and hours on my edge connection(not too fun) and my phone has never really gotten that hot. It's def gotten hot but never to a point where I was worried about the phone being ruined.

I had the first gen iPhone, and the phone would get pleasantly warm when surfing for a while, but this was nothing like I'd ever felt from my phone. While I never got a system warning, the app would crash and the phone wouldn't charge until it cooled down. Crazy stuff, I use it sparingly obviously.

Prometheus2000

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2008
SSH Encryption?

I made the same opservation, with iPhoneModem, the iPhone would get very hot and run down the battery rapidly, while now I use pdanet and the phone is just warm.

My explanation is that iPhoneModem uses an encrypted connection via ssh to tunnel data to the iPhone and back, so both sides have to encrypt all the traffic which is no problem for the Mac, but for the iPhone it can be demanding, maybe.

That would explain it becoming hot and of poor battery life with iPhoneModem, while with Netshare and Pdanet, communication goes non encrypted and therefore needs less processing power on both ends.

Anyway, that threat here got me aware of Pdanet, great little program, now I wish I could somehow "store" an ad-hoc network, it always goes away when I close everything on both side and to create a network, as easy as it is each time, is still not the "push that big button an boom" feeling I want from my Apple machinery :)

Any help on that?

KrazyKuul

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
When I tether my iPod touch to my pc with iPhone tunnel suite, it gets kinda warm, and i let it rest for awhile, but it has never gotten too hot.

i am afraid i will ruin my iPod by keeping it on too long and letting it get too warm in my hands, but my iPod has never gotten too hot to the point where I think i need to stop tethering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.