Tethering my old 3G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Soura2112, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

When I get my new iPhone tomorrow I was thinking of what to do with my current 3G. I don't want to sell it because I want to keep it as a back up. I never did any jailbreaking in the past, I only know what I read on the subject. So I am out of my element. Is there anyway I can use it for tethering and jail break it? would I need to have another account with AT&T or another mobile service to do that? Like I said, out of my element, why I am trying to keep it simple.
    I am just trying to make it useful outside of an Ipod touch, and other limited features.
    The reason I am keeping it is if anything happens to my new iPhone I have a back up. My buddy had a problem with his iPhone and was phone-less for 3 days. Which may not seem like much but when it's your work phone its pretty important.

2. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Problem is you won't be able to simply remove the SIM card from your iPhone 4 and put it into your iPhone 3G since the new iPhone use MicroSim. I think there are MicroSIM to SIM adapters so check on that.

About the 3G tethering, yes you will need another contract for data of some sort to use it for internet. It may not be worth it because you could probably just buy some 3G usb adapter with a plan that is meant for tethering.

3. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Gotta ask. What do you mean by a 3G USB adapter? I'm in a similar boat. I have the wifi iPad and thinking of adding my 3G iPhone to my family plan just for the purpose of still being able to use MyWi. That is unless I can find a cheaper way to get data.

Thanks
    David

4. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Hey David,

It really depends. In your situation if you are adding the iPhone 3G because you need it as phone then use MyWi because its free and will give you all the features you need and since you're using it as a phone then I see no problem. But as the original poster said they didn't extend their contract and are thinking of using their iPhone as just a 3G basestation for tethering, but that would be useless since ATT sells 3G USB connect cards: . Anyways it might be difficult just to purchase a data plan with out voice, I know the iPad works like that, but not sure if you went into the store and asked them for a sim card for data they would just give it to you. Hope that helps!

5. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Yeah it makes sense.

I can add a line to my family plan for ( I think) $10.00/month. Then I go with the cheap iPhone data plan. Over the course of the next year (assuming I can't ever JB my iPhone 4) going that route would still be cheaper then having bought a 3G iPad and data plan.

David

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you're going to use your 3G for tethering, keep that on the unlimited data plan, while the non-tethering phone is on whichever lesser data plan you choose.
    AFAIK, MyWi is around $10, but since I don't use it I'm not absolutely positive about this. It is not free, unless you're using the cracked version. Since the program is saving you about $20/month in AT&T tethering charges, it'd be miserly of you not to pay a one time fee for the program.

7. tirexstorm macrumors regular

Does the 3G need to be on a separate plan in order for it to work? Or can I just switch SIM cards when I want to tether? I already ordered a micro-sim adapter off of ebay. My iphone4 arrived yesterday and I have a 3G.

My plan was to keep the 3G and bring it with me when I travel. When I need to tether, I would put the micro-sim into the 3G and connect it to my laptop using mywi. Will that work?

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

The switch off should work, but your mileage may vary. It mainly depends on how hypervigilant AT&T is.
    It can't hurt to try.

9. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Let me know please how your adapter works. I'd ideally like to go that route myself.

David

10. Soura2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

Makes sense

Thanks for the info, I was never exactly sure how jailbreaking a iPhone works when it comes to the whole tethering thing. Like my G5 it took many years for me to really ticker with codes and so I'm interested now how to mess with my soon to be older iPhone.

11. iphone1027 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I'm interested as to the outcome as well. Please keep us posted.

12. tirexstorm macrumors regular

I will post the results in this thread when the adapter arrives.

13. tirexstorm macrumors regular

Adapter arrived in the mail today. Works perfectly. Unlocked my 3G (hadn't been unlocked prior) and put the micro SIM into the adapter then put it into the 3G. At first it said no SIM, then I tried again and it worked. Made a phone call using the micro-sim in the 3G and then turned on MyWi. Both worked successfully.

14. iphone1027 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Awesome. Thanks for the update. I think I'm going to be making my adapter from plastic. I'm going on a trip and will need to use MiWi.

15. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the update. Did you have to do any cutting of the sim card? And by chance do you have the username of the person selling you the adapter?

Thanks again,
    David

16. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Where did you get your adapter? And what brand?

17. tirexstorm macrumors regular