Tethering not working with APN change

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nermal, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hi,

I'm tethering my phone (SE W705a) over USB using Apple's built-in functionality under Network Preferences. If I leave the APN field blank then I can connect and everything works, except for one app which requires a specific APN.

If I go into Advanced and enter the APN (direct.telecom.co.nz), then I'm unable to connect. I press Connect and it goes to Connecting, then after about two seconds swaps to Disconnecting then tells me that there was a modem error. On the phone itself I can see that it didn't even attempt to connect.

This used to work, but there are two things I can think of that may have stopped it: I updated to OS 10.6.2 (from 10.6.1), and I updated the phone firmware to the latest version. I'm not sure exactly when the issue occurred though, as I haven't needed to tether in over a month.

Any ideas?

2. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I just tried it on my other computer, also running 10.6.2, and I'm having the same problem there too. It's therefore either a phone issue or an OS issue, but I'm not sure which.

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I just tried on a 10.6.0 system and the same problem's occurring. It therefore seems to me like the firmware update broke it. Does anyone happen to know how to downgrade the firmware on a Sony Ericsson?