Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glassonion909

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Hi the next couple of months I'll be staying in a house with no Internet access, yep it does exist. But I'll be in a built up area so should be 3G, anyway so plan to teether that. I've been looking at the options and a tenner a month seems alright. But you only get 3GB for that. But just a bit of internet surfing, IM, etc would that probably be ok? I know its easy to underestimate what you use. But not sure I'll have that much time to use it at any rate as at work I'll obviously use their internet, it's only when I'm at the flat! Also anyone used the o2 service, any good? Easy to set up?

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
Hi the next couple of months I'll be staying in a house with no Internet access, yep it does exist. But I'll be in a built up area so should be 3G, anyway so plan to teether that. I've been looking at the options and a tenner a month seems alright. But you only get 3GB for that. But just a bit of internet surfing, IM, etc would that probably be ok? I know its easy to underestimate what you use. But not sure I'll have that much time to use it at any rate as at work I'll obviously use their internet, it's only when I'm at the flat! Also anyone used the o2 service, any good? Easy to set up?

Hey

Here's a good option for you..Pdanet. 1 time charge, $30, and it works perfectly. You don't have to do anything with your carrier, no extra charges. I am typing this message in the car, on my macbook, on the way to my in-law 6 hours away. Getting internet through my iphone which is connected by USB. You can also set up your iphone to be a wifi hotspot for multiple machines! check it out ive been using it for over a year no issues.

drpellypo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
Northumberland, UK
I stay in hotels a lot with work and I was using iPhone tethering as hotel internet is stupid expensive. However, I switched to a THREE dongle and the speed is much much faster. Three seem to have a lot more capacity (no iPhone's on their network for starters!) and I've had no problems with the PAYG dongle at all.

applemax

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2005
Don't bother with O2's tethering. In my experience, it was throttled to around 300k, despite 3G on the phone reaching speeds of 2000k. I use a Vodafone dongle which is very, very fast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.