Tethering on 4s issue

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rtk86, Mar 11, 2012.

1. rtk86 macrumors member

Is it possible to have the 4s create an infrastructure hotspot? I have tried mywi 5 with infrastructure turned on and also tether me but both show up as adhoc connections and therefore my work computer cannot use the connection due to ad hoc being turned off.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I used MyWi on my 4S and there's no problems wifi tethering with infrastructure mode.
    Your sure its not the tethering app not working or maybe just your work computer beeing locked up or configured a certain way.,
    Test on other machines to see if it works but I know for fact both TetherMe and Mywi work fine in infrastructure wifi mode.

3. rtk86 thread starter macrumors member

The icon on my macbook air shoes two chain links which is what I thought represents an adhoc connection. Also - I think my work computer recognizes it as an ad hoc and refuses to connect. Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong but not a huge deal regardless. Thanks for your reply.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Im not sure what the icon is that is displayed on your macbook.
    But if its setup to broadcast in infrastructure it will not tether using adhoc.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think apple products simply recognize the mac address (or some other identifier) and then display the chain link. It's definitely infrastructure mode