Tethering on JB 3GS running iOS 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by killmoms, Jun 13, 2010.

1. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Currently I use MyWi to create a WiFi hotspot for my iPad when I'm away from home. I know MyWi is currently not working on iOS 4, so I'm wondering if I do a JB, baseband-preserving upgrade to it will I still be able to (say) use the old MobilConfig trick to turn on the built-in Bluetooth/USB tethering? Then I could use a laptop to share that via WiFi.

I'm really itching to try out iOS 4 but would rather not lose the ability to use my iPad at work.

My iPhone is a 3GS with the old boot ROM, running 3.1.2 on a blackra1n jailbreak (never updated to 3.1.3).

2. deenybird macrumors regular

Yup I'm in the same boat. I would like to try 4.0 but there's just no way I'm doing it at the expense of wifi tethering.
    I heard that pdanet works on 4.0, but the tethering is usb only so that does me no good. Hopefully the mywi team is frantically updating...

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Nothing to be frantic over yet, general release of 4.0 is still over 10 days away.

Since the developer(s) of MyWi have sold an untold number of MyWi licenses, I'm sure they will want the revenue to continue after 4.0 is released, so I'm sure they will update the app to be 4.0 compatible.

4. killmoms thread starter macrumors 68040

killmoms

Took the plunge anyway, just ‘cause I wanted to try it out. Unfortunately my Cydia showed up with no sources listed and I can’t seem to add any from known good URLs, so I have no way to install jailbroken apps like MobileTerminal, et al.

I’m trying to make a new restore ipsw after modifying the Cydia package included in the PwnageTool, but I’m not sure it’s going to be any different.

Suggestions? Anyone get Cydia on and working properly the first time?

5. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

try adding http://apt.saurik.com/cydia-3.7 in ur sources

6. noelguillermo macrumors newbie

See link attached. Use google to translate the page. Any of the mywi will enable tethering on ios 4, you can only turn it on on the iphone settings. Mywi icon will crash.

Tethering “Por Ahora” Para iOS 4.0 GM (“Pain Relief” Para El Plan De T.. http://bit.ly/dr9sdA

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Cydia worked fine upon update to 4.0 on 3GS. Did complete upgrade and just trying different extensions & apps to see what works.

8. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

yo lizard...i see your jb on 4.0....do you have the old bootrom..or did you somehow find a way to jb the newer bootrom?

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Old bootrom.