tethering on verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jetjaguar, May 5, 2011.

1. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

I am thinking of switching over to verizon because I can get unlimited data there since I lost my unlimited on ATT and they wont give it back. Are people on verizon having the same issues as ATT users with tethering?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You mean by using a feature that your not paying for? No I don't think verizon is cracking down people yet

3. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Verizon will be locking everyone down for tethering soon enough. Just give it a couple months...

4. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

yea was just curious .. i dont tether but it might help me decide whether or not to pick up a wifi only or 3g ipad2

5. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I assume verizon will start locking it down when they get rid of the unlimited data plans. That's likely to happen before the iphone 5 comes out. My predictions anyway.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree, they both seem to copy eachothers "good' habits:)

7. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

yea I am trying to decide if I should sell my iphone 4 and then switch to Verizon to get grandfathered into unlimited data

8. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

I have both Verizon (mifi) and AT&T 3G data plans, and AT&T's 3G is a lot faster than Verizon's 3G data when I compare speedtests in the same location. I thought of doing the switch for data reasons, but I know how slow Verizon's 3G can be... so I wasn't sure if I wanted to be grandfathered in Verizon's 3G data. Also, I am also speculating that when Verizon get's a 4G LTE iPhone, they will probably NOT offer an unlimited plan to upgrade to 4G LTE... if you want the LTE iPhone. I think that AT&T will probably do the same when they get their 4G iPhone. For now, since I don't know the future on data plans.. as they upgrade to 4G, I am basing my decision on what gives me the best phone coverage, and Verizon has a poor phone signal where I live... but Verizon has great 3G data coverage. Sometimes I do like to use my iPhone as a phone.;)

9. jetjaguar thread starter macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

Yea I dont really know what I am going to do but unlimited data is nice. Verizon is superior around here even though I do not have an issue with ATT besides not having unlimited data. You can't talk and surf the web correct on Verizon?

10. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

At the very least you can keep your unlimited data and receive a 2GB tethering allowance with their plan. I'd be so happy if AT&T would have such an option.