Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohmygahitscoby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
Hey guys,

Basically, I do not have an iPhone plan. I wanted to use my iPhone as a wireless adapter, and I thought tethering would work, but I found it will only work using the AT&T data plans. Is there any way to use my iPhone as a modem not connected through AT&T, but through my wireless modem? (Wireless adapter). I am using the 2G iPhone Jailbroken w/ MobileTerminal, 3Proxy, and the SOCKS application. Please help me. Thanks!

-Coby

xkRoWx

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Canada
Hey guys,

Basically, I do not have an iPhone plan. I wanted to use my iPhone as a wireless adapter, and I thought tethering would work, but I found it will only work using the AT&T data plans. Is there any way to use my iPhone as a modem not connected through AT&T, but through my wireless modem? (Wireless adapter). I am using the 2G iPhone Jailbroken w/ MobileTerminal, 3Proxy, and the SOCKS application. Please help me. Thanks!

-Coby

Tethering requires you to have a data plan. Tethering (from my knowledge), is converting your phone into a wireless modem so other peripheral devices such as laptops and cellphones can share the iPhone's access to internet via the data plan.

If you want to connect to internet via another wireless modem/router, you can simply use wi-fi. It's built-in.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Hey guys,

-Coby

You want PdaNet...

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I agree. I love pdanet, and with it's newest version it is even easier to use. Too bad it makes my phone warm, and murders the battery life. :(

I know what your saying. This is not the case when tethering over USB. I downloaded 180 megs and it charged the battery. I really hope they can develop this for OSX soon. Got it working on Windows 7 too. :)

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
I know what your saying. This is not the case when tethering over USB. I downloaded 180 megs and it charged the battery. I really hope they can develop this for OSX soon. Got it working on Windows 7 too. :)

yeah... i wished the usb tethering would work in linux too. id hate to tether and not be able to charge it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.