Tethering Over Rogers (in Canada) With 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Project-79, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Project-79 macrumors 6502

Project-79

Has anyone tried this in Canada with 3.0? Everyone talks about it being successful over AT&T, but I've yet to read anything about it working over Rogers.

Thanks!!!

Pro-79

2. taran420 macrumors 6502a

looks like a AT&T file, u got a rogers one?

I've read what tethering does, but can anyone explain it in the simplest form. Is it just connecitng your computer and phone together and use its internet? sorry not too familiar with the word

3. Project-79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Project-79

To tether, you connect your phone (which has data) to your computer/laptop (which doesn't have data). That way, you can surf the internet, write e-mails, etc. that requires the internet.

Pro-79

4. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

I think that guy doesn't what Rogers is. I'm curious too, I'm a Fido user and I would like to know if Rogers allows tethering with 3.0.

UPDATE** I've found this, a user said that confirmation from a Rogers employee said its allowed
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1509683

5. Project-79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Project-79

Sweet!!! But, I wonder if it works with the link above (with the AT&T ipcc). And if not, I wonder where I can find an ipcc for Rogers.

Thanks!

Pro-79

6. shortee macrumors newbie

i have the rogers ipcc and tethering and mms works fine just pm me for it.

7. milani macrumors 68000

milani

It better work, we Rogers customers are already paying for the service!

8. Set Abominae macrumors newbie

not really familiar with rogers data plans I am on the 6gb one they had for a little while last summer around the time of the launch in Canada does this include mms or will I have to add that? I know that may be a better question for rogers but any help is apreciated

9. stevespa macrumors member

10. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Rogers calls MMS "picture messaging" and "video messaging".

While you are inside Canada, picture messaging is not directly billed against your Rogers data services. Instead, it's tied to your text messaging value pack.

If you are roaming internationally, Rogers will deduct from your data service at the applicable rate, or charge the applicable per-kilobyte rate if you don't have an international roaming data plan.

While you are inside Canada, again, your data plan is not touched when you send a picture message. Instead, you pay a pay-per-use rate of 50¢ per recipient. Alternatively, most of Rogers' recent text messaging value packs can also be used to send a certain number of picture and video messages.

While you are inside Canada, incoming picture messages never cost you anything on Rogers, data or otherwise, no matter what plan you're on.

However, if the picture cannot be delivered to your phone because it's not MMS-capable, and instead you attempt to view the picture with your on-phone Internet browser through Rogers' website, your domestic data plan will be deducted at the applicable rate for accessing the website, or you will be charged a flat-rate 5¢ per use if you don't have a domestic data plan.

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Man, tethering better work - what the hell am I paying for this 6 gig data plan for?

12. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Rogers has never explicitly prohibited data tethering in the 6 gig data plan's terms and conditions - that prohibition was added on Apple's end to appease a certain foreign carrier.

If they don't ease up on that restriction after tethering gets official in 3.0's final release, I'd demand action if I were you.

13. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Ya ... Canadians get boned every which way possible on cellular stuff.

14. strik macrumors newbie

Way back, CBC ran an article about the iPhone and they mentioned the fact that Rogers allows tethering.

Here's the article.

15. shabbado macrumors member

shabbado