Tethering phone wifi through USB

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by vexorg, May 3, 2016.

1. vexorg, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016

vexorg macrumors 6502a

I had a need to link the wifi of the iPhone to my macbook via USB.

Is it possible? It didn't appear to be.

Reason for doing so was an odd one. A few free wifi places in China need wechat login to gain access to the free wifi. I have wechat on my iPhone, so it connects no problem. If you connect to the free wifi on the macbook, then safari sits with a QR code on the screen and nothing else.

2. cynics macrumors G3

Unfortunately you can not share your wifi with another device. Typically this isn't a problem because the other device can just connect to wifi. You found one of those strange circumstances it would be useful.

At those places you mention, did you see other people on computers? I'm kind of curious if this is to only let mobile users on their network.

3. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

What you can do is load it from your iPhone then use handoff on your Mac and it will load what's on your iPhone screen of safari.

4. vexorg thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was wanting to do emails, much easier on a keyboard than the iPhone screen.

There were others on laptops too. Can't say if they were using the wifi, or tethered to their mobiles, or with the 4G sticks that seem common there.