Tethering plan required??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gordonnay, Mar 19, 2015.

1. gordonnay macrumors member

I'm vey much looking forward to getting my hands on :apple: watch! But what's worrying me is the connection to the iPhone! My contract has unlimited data but no personal hotspot/tethering! Will I have to change my contract to use the watch features does anyone know?

2. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

No tethering plan required. Your watch connects via Bluetooth and wifi, not the cellular data on your phone.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It uses bluetooth and wifi so no tethering is required.

4. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Technically that's what tethering is. But no, you won't need a tethering plan.

5. gordonnay thread starter macrumors member

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Do people think they're tethering when they use the hand free system in the car? Same thing.

7. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Not really. Your car uses a bluetooth audio profile, so it's acting as a wireless speaker and microphone. The watch is using bluetooth and wi-fi to transfer data - just like a tethered device.

Yes, there are several technical caveats and differences, but to most people the watch looks much closer to a tethered device than a bluetooth headset.

8. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Tethering plans are for sharing internet from your phone, the Apple Watch doesn't access the internet at all, ever. Watch apps run on the phone itself which then talks to the watch to tell it what to display.