Tethering plan with Verizon??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacGeekAZ, Mar 6, 2011.

1. MacGeekAZ macrumors member

Can you pay month-to-month for the tethering plan ($20), or do you have to sign a 2-year contract? It would be very convenient when I travel, but it's not worth $20 a month to me, since I don't think I'd use it much at home.

Thanks,
    MacGeekAZ

2. Dandrews524 macrumors 6502

you could always jailbreak and pay a one time fee of $20 and just use the tethering whenever you feel like it, without worrying about paying month to month

3. JonathanGennick macrumors newbie

I was told that I could drop it for months that I'm not travelling, and then add it back for months in which I do travel. I have not tested that advice yet. My son loves the feature, because he can connect from his iPod Touch while we're out and about. I travel enough that I can justify it anyway.

The feature did work well for me on my last three layovers in Chicago. Usually I drop close to $10 each time on a Boingo Hotspot fee. In just two weeks I've spent $20 with Verizon to save almost $30 from going to Boingo. I'm ahead of the game.

4. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Tethering is an add-on feature for the iPhone, so you can add it and remove it as you want.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You dont sign a 2-year contract to use a tethering plan.
    You can remove it, add it and use it for as much as you want.
    Its just an addon that doesnt effect your contract.

6. MacGeekAZ thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the information, y'all. I couldn't seem to find it on Verizon's website (which I don't think is laid out very helpfully). It's great to know I can pick up that service when I need it.

MacGeekAZ

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

You can even add/remove it via Verizon's iPhone app (though I don't know if tethering service turns on immediately or if there's a delay...).