Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tanker5

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
Hoboken
I am experiencing problems using my iPhone 4S as a personal hotspot with iOS 6.0. I had no problems before I upgraded. Today, I finally took my phone to the Genius Bar in Grand Central, but was told iOS 6.0 does not have genius bar support yet. They would not even look at the phone. I called AT&T and they said there are no issues on their end. I called 1-800-myapple and am waiting for a call back.

I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with tethering in iOS 6.0. I currently have the beta 3 build on my phone but the problem existed in betas 1 and 2 since then.

If there is anyone out there experiencing this problem, please let me know. And if anyone has a recommendation on how the problem can be corrected, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
yup, with a beta software, best thing apple can do for you is to say "Thanks for reporting a bug."

dailybibliotaph

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2012
If there is anyone out there experiencing this problem, please let me know. And if anyone has a recommendation on how the problem can be corrected, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Not to sound flippant but putting iOS 5 on it would solve your problem. Clearly not a developer if you went to the Genius Bar to look for support on a beta product.

docmagoo2

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2010
Not to sound flippant but putting iOS 5 on it would solve your problem. Clearly not a developer if you went to the Genius Bar to look for support on a beta product.

Surely even devs need genius bar support from time to time? A dev does exactly that, develops apps. They technically don't fiddle with the OS itself due to the inherent restrictions apple places (unless said devs are jail breakers). I think it's unfair to imply that the the OP isnt a dev simply as theyre having problems with personal hotspot.

But as previously said reinstall iOS 5.1.1 and your problems will likely evaporate

gladoscc

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2011
Surely even devs need genius bar support from time to time? A dev does exactly that, develops apps. They technically don't fiddle with the OS itself due to the inherent restrictions apple places (unless said devs are jail breakers). I think it's unfair to imply that the the OP isnt a dev simply as theyre having problems with personal hotspot.

But as previously said reinstall iOS 5.1.1 and your problems will likely evaporate

Nope, apple doesn't care if you're a dev, provides absolutely no support (they even refuse to take the $50/ticket paid support)... betas are betas.

tanker5

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
Hoboken

I signed up for a dev acct because I am taking programming classes. I have little programming knowledge but am looking to learn.

The point of me posting this was simply to ask if anyone else in the forums is having this issue and if anything can be done to correct it. I have since updated my iPhone 4 s to the dev preview 4. No luck tethering with this version either.

jnmiah

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2012
If you restored try restoring from new. Don't restore from backup as that will cause some unknown bugs

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
I signed up for a dev acct because I am taking programming classes. I have little programming knowledge but am looking to learn.

The point of me posting this was simply to ask if anyone else in the forums is having this issue and if anything can be done to correct it. I have since updated my iPhone 4 s to the dev preview 4. No luck tethering with this version either.

If you are taking programming classes they would focus on iOS 5 so why upgrade your phone with IOS 5. Most programming books do not come out on a new iOS for at least 2-3 months after its release.

If you did over the air updates, I would back up your phone. Wipe it clean with a full install of ios6. Maybe that will fix your problems.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

Bugs should be reported to Apple though their bug tracking system if you are going to go down this route. The Genius Bar simply cannot help you at all, and it should be expected that betas will have bugs with no work arounds. There is a reason why Apple says not to put this stuff on your day to day devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.