All iPads Tethering question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by patseguin, Nov 3, 2013.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

So I bought the wifi version with plans on tethering with my iPhone when needed but apparently I can't tether with my unlimited data plan. The AT&T rep advised against changing my plan because a life of people would love to have unlimited data. My question is, do most people really need unlimited data on a phone and can I safely downgrade to a current plan so I can tether? I put I this in the iPad forums because I want the tethering for my iPad.

2. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I'm in the same boat, tempted to switch to a mobile share plan to tether with my new Air but very hesitant to give up my unlimited data. Right now I have unlimited (which is more like 5gb since they throttle after that) and my husband has a 2gb plan, for the mobile shape plans the 6gb would be about the same or a little less than what we're paying now and the 10gb plan would be a little more.

3. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Look at your history and see how much data you use. I had the unlimited plan with Verizon, but after a year of pretty much doing everything I want I found that my average was about 6gb a month. So I moved to a share everything plan along with the wife and kids. We all share 8gb and Tethering is included.

My price per month in actually now $10 a month cheaper, vs having the two separate plans.

4. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

So I can log into my account and see usage? The rep strongly advised against giving up the unlimited but I can't tether.

5. Capt T macrumors 6502a

I changed from the unlimited to be able to tether, when I bought my iPhone 4S. It has been great. I can tether my iPad, MacBook Pro, and could share with someone else. I had a pretty good idea of my usage when I did it.

You could put download meter on your phone and see how much you really use.

6. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

Hmm so I guess the unlimited us great, I just need to figure out if I will ever need to tether.

7. dennisjr631 macrumors 6502

To bad you don't have unlimted data with verizon. For a extra $29.99 you can add unlimited hot spot. Pretty good deal.

8. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i personally think charging for tethering is absurd. a rooted/jailbroken phone can tether for "free"

you are paying for unlimited data, why should they be able to charge you twice for the same service?

9. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Tethering is free in Australia for iPhone and iPad plans. How is tethering to a wifi only iPad with maps, does no GPS make that much difference?

10. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

see i don't think that's a good deal at all. if you have an unlimited data plan and they're charging you for more data isn't that charging you twice for the same service?

it's not like you could ever run a real home network off of a tethered phone. at least not with today's technology/networks.

11. ercsliberty macrumors 6502

Had the same issue, changed my phone to verzion moto x, now i can keep my unlimited plan and thether my new ipad air

12. PaulNY macrumors member

I had an unlimited plan up until the iPhone 5. I generally used 1-2gb per month and the one month I hit like 3.5gb they sent me a warning text that if I continue to use this amount each month I would be throttled.

I said screw it and moved my 4 lines to a 6gb share plan this summer. Paying around the same as the old family plan and now I get tethering and $10/m tablets.

13. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

The irony of your situation is that you're probably not using a whole lot of data on your phone, but if you tether regularly then your data usage will go up.

I have five members on my family plan. Of the five, three rarely go above 200 MB of usage per month (and some don't even break 100 MB - they're frequently in wifi-covered areas), one rarely goes above 400 MB in a month (tethers the computer for email and web browsing), and one touches around 1 GB per month (uses Pandora to stream audio during long daily commutes during the work week). We have a 10 GB shared plan, but even with the five of us we rarely break 2 GB. Obviously a sample size of five people doesn't dictate your own usage, but I view us as something of the average. We're not particularly trying to ration our data by barely using our phones unless we're on a wifi network, either; this is just normal usage for us (email, web browsing, sending images through iMessage).

If you're used to doing very bandwidth-intensive things, such as using Youtube all the time, then your usage will likely be much higher.

Assuming your usage is similar to ours, then the "unlimited" plan is a waste. Combine that with the fact that AT&T doesn't have any true unlimited plans (they seem to throttle your speeds once you hit a certain amount, something that PaulNY seemingly encountered), and it seems really pointless. On the other hand, tethering is incredibly useful.

14. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

This tethering/unlimited thing has been argued so many times:p

15. legioxi macrumors 6502a

It's actually $20/mo which I don't think is too bad. Though I use a lot of data so paying extra for the hotspot seems worth it. A lot is 10-80GB/mo depending on my work load.

16. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Does Tethering to a iPad air make it hot same as a 4 or not?

17. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I'm in the same boat. I typically use 3-5GB of data per month on my 5S with an unlimited plan, but have been thinking of switching to the 10GB Mobile Share plan (3 iPhones total, but the other two use less than 500MB/month).

From there, I'd go with a retina iPad Mini and tether my iPhone via Bluetooth here and there. It'd be $130 cheaper since I wouldn't need the cellular version of the iPad, and switching over to the new plan would be about the same price per month, interestingly enough.

But then again, I may just keep my unlimited plan, then go T-Mobile for the iPad for the free 200MB/month, in which I can then also have GPS.

So really, I have no idea what to do :p

18. Robster3 macrumors 68000

The only difference in maps with wifi only is you don't get turn by turn without the GPS, is that right? Finding a street or from town to town is ok tethering?